Sept 18th Updates

chen88

Super Moderator
Took some photos last night of my P12 Surfing in the middle of the tank...always cool to see ....he gets up on the end of the tank and then glides to catch the current in the middle....very active Henlei's and BD's...also pics of some of my giant Geo's around 8"

Here's the Male Henlei about to glide to the middle of the tank...right below him is my favourite Ray....a female Henlei with lots of big spots
IMG_6580.jpg

WC P12 Female henlei...around 12"
IMG_6577.jpg

IMG_6574.jpg

some of my BD's and Geos
IMG_6504.jpg

IMG_6548.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

Video

Last edited:

peacockbass

nice....love the Geos....are you going to add any substrate??....geos and rays would love to dig thiru sand or rocks.....i miss watching my geos spit them out during feeding time...

chen88

Super Moderator
No, not planning on adding any substrate. Doing well so far and adjusting. I'll see how they do in a few weeks.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I would guess they are wild caught Geos? You kind of have a biotope happening in the photos. Everyone eating well (esp. rays)? Are you finding the large tank easier to keep stable concerning Ph and temp, than your old "smaller" tanks?

chen88

Super Moderator
Thanks Guys.

Temp is between 87-89 on a regular basis with no heater...I don't really check for PH anymore....I do change 40-45% water twice sometimes 3 times per week...but mostly twice...looking very much to one day getting a drip system so I can deal with perhaps a change per week or every two weeks...would be great to get a system to change approx. 100gal per day...

hondas3000

Thanks Guys.

Temp is between 87-89 on a regular basis with no heater...I don't really check for PH anymore....I do change 40-45% water twice sometimes 3 times per week...but mostly twice...looking very much to one day getting a drip system so I can deal with perhaps a change per week or every two weeks...would be great to get a system to change approx. 100gal per day...

you should go with drip system Chen. A water change for big tank take no less then 1 hour. You can try to get a plumber to extend water pipe and drainage to or near your tank and you can just do the drip yourself. I doubt that you have a water pipe or drainage in those wall around or near your tank. I am now can take a vacation without worry for someone to do water change now :). I just finish putting away my 25' water change hose today.

chen88

Super Moderator
Actually my laundry sink is in the basement right below my tank! That's how I do my water change as I drop my python hose down the vent to the sink. I think the only thing I need is a second cold water valve from the laundry sink and that's it. I can run a PVC pipe for drainage. Perhaps cut a hole in my sump and connect a bulkhead to it for drainage. Hrmmm. Rather have piping in basement in case of leaks.

RDFISHGUY

Put the sump in the basement and get a bigger pump to handle the increased head pressure.

Nice polka dot carpet BTW.

hondas3000

Actually my laundry sink is in the basement right below my tank! That's how I do my water change as I drop my python hose down the vent to the sink. I think the only thing I need is a second cold water valve from the laundry sink and that's it. I can run a PVC pipe for drainage. Perhaps cut a hole in my sump and connect a bulkhead to it for drainage. Hrmmm. Rather have piping in basement in case of leaks.

In that case it even easier for you, just hook up the carbon filter in the laundry and just have the drip pipe which is 1/4" only up to the main tank then have a 1/2" or 3/4" pipe for drain from your sump. If you do the connection right then there is no worry about the leak as long as the seal is tight.

chen88

Super Moderator
Do you think if using flex hoses instead of hard piping for both drip and drain is ok? It's going to be easier since there will be lots of bends and twists to get from basement to tank. Also having the added pressure of the carbon filter in the basement pumping up at least 15-16' to the tank.....ok with that?

hondas3000

Do you think if using flex hoses instead of hard piping for both drip and drain is ok? It's going to be easier since there will be lots of bends and twists to get from basement to tank. Also having the added pressure of the carbon filter in the basement pumping up at least 15-16' to the tank.....ok with that?

how about pex pipe for drain? you can rent the crimper and connection from homedepot. I don't like how flex pipe bend with the corner if you bend it too much it will shut down the hole. Unless you use bigger flex pipe like 3/4 ID so it is stronger at the corner when bending. Many people including me using the 25psi pressure connector to reduce the pressure from main pipe but if you concern about it then don't 25psi connector, just hook up direct from main pipe. IMO it is better to have low pressure water then high so with 25psi you are still good with 15-16' as its only running for few gallon per hour only. Now you need to worry your sump must have the same water level when running and when its not running, oh and you don't have to put the drip pipe in the main tank but have it in the sump instead.

chen88

Super Moderator
I think I'll get this done sooner then later. Might drop by BWI this week yo have a chat with them

bcarlos

That female hen is unbelievable, Chen, she looks great. They all do, eating very well indeed. I like the addition of the Geos-- add's some colour to the tank. Keep giving us the updates!

chen88

Super Moderator
Thanks brandon. As for colours they Do add some, but in general most of the tank mates are all pretty plain. But that's the community I choose to have I guess. :). Adding something brighter might look odd

Last edited:

RDFISHGUY

Put the sump in the basement and then the carbon filter can just drip into the sump. Run flex hose from tank to sump.