Possible? Hole in the Head with Arowana's????

RTG

Hey guys! Has anyone ever experienced 'Hole in the Head(HITH)' with Arowana's???
i've been seeing HITH with my aro so i switched up the diet and have been feeding him hikkari pellets now. He use to be on Meal Worms. Anyone have any ideas how to cure HITH? other than HEX?

thanks!

RTG

no carbon at all..... i think maybe its diet thats causing hith. there r little poy holes just above the eye oh the aro right now.... right now im feeding combo on pellets, SW, EW and trying on shrimp but the aro spits it out =(

carcrazy

My dynamic red only eats sw and very rarely pellets, the spoiled thing. I hope I don't have this problem as well since the diet for my aro is not very varied. I used to soak the sw in liquid vitamins overnight, I think I will start doing that again. It wouldn't hurt to boost the aros immunity.

Joey

There are two forms of HITH.

First is caused by a protozoan called hexamita or spironucleus. This is the less common reason for HITH.

Second is caused by the environment that the fish is in. Water quality, diet, stress or even high levels of copper in the water can cause it.

Both look the same, although the HITH caused by the fish's environment is all external symptoms.

If it is caused by the protozoan, then it is internal as well. The external symtoms are the side effect to the protozoan.

To determine which one it is, you go to the fish's feces. In a fish with HITH, caused by hexamita or spironucleus, the feces will be white and slimy, and the fishs appetite will decrease or it will stop eating all together.

In a fish with HITH that is caused by environment, the feces will be normal, and eating paterns do not change.

Treating for the protozoan when this is not the cause will just make it worse.

Sounds like yours is caused by environment. Water changes, and a change in diet should do it.

RTG

The aros droppings are normal and he's still eating but he's just picky still notwilling toneat pellets. I now soak the pellets in garlic guard and feed him day and night seeing him swallow a couple or a few which I guess is better than nothing I guess. He's being fed earth worms every few days but other than that he's on pellets day n night. Nitrates vary from 10 to 20 ppm doesn't go higher than that. I think the problem is diet as well hopefully with pellets he can overcome this HITH.

There are two forms of HITH.

First is caused by a protozoan called hexamita or spironucleus. This is the less common reason for HITH.

Second is caused by the environment that the fish is in. Water quality, diet, stress or even high levels of copper in the water can cause it.

Both look the same, although the HITH caused by the fish's environment is all external symptoms.

If it is caused by the protozoan, then it is internal as well. The external symtoms are the side effect to the protozoan.

To determine which one it is, you go to the fish's feces. In a fish with HITH, caused by hexamita or spironucleus, the feces will be white and slimy, and the fishs appetite will decrease or it will stop eating all together.

In a fish with HITH that is caused by environment, the feces will be normal, and eating paterns do not change.

Treating for the protozoan when this is not the cause will just make it worse.

Sounds like yours is caused by environment. Water changes, and a change in diet should do it.