What do you feed your aro?

m_class2g

Sponsor
List:

1) the size of your aro
2) what you feed &
3) how often you feed

-24 inch rtg aro
-market prawn and hikari arowana pellets (sometimes some kingworm)
-every other day

homebrewed

Super Moderator
My green is just coming off of a 1 month hungry strike and still isn't feeding as much as I'd like him to, but his old regimen kept him with a big belly

- 10" green
- Nightcrawlers, super worms, hikari pellets
- every day

right now hes eating about 1 nightcrawlers ever 2 days

DragonfishExotics

yes but I used to go through 30 crickets a day with my big HBRTG, can get pricey, and breeding them is a smelly venture, once a aro has tasted a cricket, very hard to get them off of them.

When I finally get my aro I am thinking bout going with gut loaded crickets and mp. I can get a box of 1000 for I think around $30 then just gutload them and freeze them.

Anyone feed their aros pinkies? Would there be to much calcium in them?
Would it be a good idea to soak the mp in liquid vitamins?

protoxeno

Freezing 1000 crickets may not be a good idea as the freshness fades. I find that my aro doesn't like frozen as much then live crickets and are hesitant to wack frozen crickets than live ones. Unless your aro wack them fast enough so by the time you hit 1 crickets you wouldn't have to worry about freshness.

Kenta

Administrator
Currently i have a 15" Panda Gold. Funny because like Tim, mine is on a hunger strike too...

usually eats pellets every day, and a meal of either prawns or scallops every couple days.

m_class2g

Sponsor
yup def agree. freshness will fade if you keep a lot in the fridge. same as market prawn. i noticed when i try to feed my aro prawn thats been in the fridge for a while, he wont eat it. he knows how to eat. lol.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
My aro - RTG (24 inch)
is SOO Fussy!!

Every month or two, it decides it wants a certain food, and only a certain food. its up to me to figure out what it wants.

heres an example:
jan - mar, it did not eat, nothing would please it.
april, voracious appetite, eating everything -prawn, pellets, feeders, slices of cod & snapper, squid.. anything I put in the tank it ate..
By may, it was done eatting and would accept nothing.
June and July, it had a couple prawn, but mostly snubbed everything I put in the tank.
Aug-Oct, really didn't eat anything.
Now its eatting feeders again, still snubs everything else.

When you see it go for months without eating, its kind of.. Some aro owners freak out and start taking more extreme measures to get their aro to eat..
I'm kind of.. Ok fish, I know you can eat that, if you dont want too, fine the other fish will..
Sometimes its frustrating because soo picky, dancing at the front of the tank begging for food but then.. noo not that.. So I don't cater to the aro anymore.. I hope it eats what I put in the tank, sometimes it will..
This aro, 9 years old, seems to be every three months it pigs out..
I've had it for years, its healthy, active and seems ok so I dont worry when its not eatting.

kootenayrays

my Arro is about 12" now, he's very content with thawed out krill you get
in flat paks. Every now and then he will get a treat, like some earthworm
or cricket, or a live feeder or three. He takes on average about 6 1 inch
size krill, I always give him extra and pick out the leftovers if they are still
there in a few hours. My tanks are 'super filtered' so most stuff gets
sucked out right away.

EKen

Super Moderator
HomeBrewed and Protoxeno:
Have you guys heard of S7? It is pretty popular in Singapore. I did try it some time before, and I think it worked. I had a fussy eater RTG and it seems to help it eat. You can get it through Ebay, but it's a bit expensive.

ninjaturtle

Have you guys heard of S7? It is pretty popular in Singapore. I did try it some time before, and I think it worked. I had a fussy eater RTG and it seems to help it eat. You can get it through Ebay, but it's a bit expensive.

yea theres also the AZOO one. i dono ive heard good n bad, so im a lil skeptical. rather just save the money for SW. as my aro can never refuse SW lol

GRANDDRAGON

S7 is a great product and it is worth the money if you have problems with feeding. It also boosts the aros energy up I find. I am not using it now but when my Aros become fussy a little dose of S7 should do the trick.

I am currently feeding all my Aros Hikari Food Sticks and MP.

Boydo

I have a 550 gal with 8 aro' s and I feed them Prawns(shelled and soaked in Kent zeo vitamins), trout, salmon, catfish, tuna, pike, walleye, and what ever else the seafood shop has thats a good deal. I stay away from crikets and superworms now as they are not economical at the amount I feed, and they caused digestive problems in the fish(just my experience). A varied diet is always best, so I mix it up all the time. I feed my guy's in the evenings for 2 days then take a day off. I almost forgot the aro's are 18-27 inches.