Comm. of stingrays...

EKen

Super Moderator
Mods, I am not sure if this thread is in the right section, so if it is not , please feel free to move it.

Is there any possible problem if I want to comm. 2 male and 1 female stingrays? I have at the moment 1 flower ray, thinking of adding a pair of motoros.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Regards

EKen

ninjaturtle

prob not that great of an idea.. its the same as putting 2 male guppies with 1 female guppy i think.. in the end either the female will be stressed to death by twice the courtship or the male will die due to fighitng, n this behaviour has been observed with many fish species and even animals. better to have 2 females n 1 male... n this dont apply to just fish :D

EKen

Super Moderator
lol...That is why in the other "species", the male has to be bigger than the female. Because an angry grilfriend can do a lot of damage.

ninjaturtle

lol...That is why in the other "species", the male has to be bigger than the female. Because an angry grilfriend can do a lot of damage.

but rays do cross-breed with diff species.. like cichlids do. so theres the chance that both males will wana breed with the female. plus the the males might show dominance over each other. i guess its a trial and error thing.. kinda like mixing flowerhorns with arowanas. yea i understand 2 females can get a lil bitchy haha, 2 smaller females n 1 bigger male. or 1 bigger male n 1 female.

bob351

make sure the female is bigger than the male because the females will run the show and when it comes to breeding the male bites the females disk to get grip and its quite aggressive so a bigger female will help make sure the males don't do much damage an a biger female mean more pups.

EKen

Super Moderator
bob531:
Thanks for the info. If you are looking for motoros and can't find any in TO, I have send you a link via pm...

JMorash

Hey,

I kept a similar mix once with a 1.2 Motoro and a 1.1 Flower. The problem wasn't at all aggression towards each other, but instead the motoros were such aggressive feeders that the flowers often didn't get a good feed. I ended up having to move them into a separate tank.

JMorash

Last edited: