marble development

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Don't get me wrong that all ray hobbyists do not want to see the dead curve, but if it happens to you, either you can sell it or live with that. It is not real to cure it so far as I know. I am a newbie only. And again, my 2 cents.

I haven't seen a healthy ray with death curl

IMO it definatly has to do with stress.

Stephan, most of the rays for sale right now are wild caught. Especially in Canada. There aren't to many large scale breeders yet.

MananaP

ah ok tim...thanks...yes and i agree with you tim that my ray is most likely stressed that is why he is doing such thing... and i don't want to sell him because i don't want the next person to get mad or say something bad to me that "he got ripped off" etc... if i do sell him i will sell him because of other reassons not because he is dying or sick...

MananaP

This is a very good strategy. Don't sell him because of this. It will ruin your name. It just does not worth of it. Thumb up on your responsibility.

thanks rulaifu for the comment...i just really hope he survives...well if he doesn't i will grab myself one platinum bicher... :D

MananaP

well tim he is still alive but does exactly the same thing... i don't know how long it's going to be or if he is going to die...i'm just trying to make the water as clean as possible for him...hope he gets better soon...

MananaP

well tim i don't have any camera on me right now and i don't know how to uplaod one from my cellphone...if i see any progress i will let you know asap ok :) ... i'm just thankful that you have the same passion towards rays/fish as i do and won't give up til' the fish gives up on me... thanks again tim for everything...

oh yes breakthrough he ate few chopped up night crawlers as we speak...he seemed to be stable after eating a hearty meal i hope he won't do the curls afterwards...well i guess i'm off to bed,working really early tomorrow...will keep in touch tim and hopefully he will gain some weight as you said faster by eating some night crawlers... (still crossing fingers)!!!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
What a nice looking ray Rulaifu! What was it sold to you as? It almost looks like some kind of pearl-motoro hybrid? Sure is a quality piece.

MananaP

well tim finally my motoro kind of ok now...been eating night crawlers...now i have another problem my clown laoches around 3 inch keeps on nipping his sting on his tail...would this be a problem?i don't want him to get stressed more...his gaining some fat on him now i think he looks more bulkier not like b4 soo skinny...he does not do the curls as often now...maybe in the past 3 days i've only seen him do it maybe 3 to 4 times which is not bad....if the laoches keeps on bothering him i will remove all 6 of them...such a bully little guys...

homebrewed

Super Moderator
lol

I would take them out as well
Good to hear about the improvement :)

rulaifu, all of them are beautiful. I hope my female develops similar to yours
Do you have a lots of current in your tank?

EKen

Super Moderator
ah ok tim thanks...i will do that... hays wondering when my motoro eats sinking pallets hehehe...i just hope ha can survive... still doing the curl right now... hoping it gets better each day...meaning less and less curling...well if he doesn't work i will just buy some bichers for bottom tank fishes then... i'm trying to have different level's of fish in the tank/community...

A stingray doing death curl has something wrong with it or is stressed, and no healthy stingray is doing death curl just for fun. It might be you water parameters, or the fact that your tank is relatively new and bacteria ammount is not yet fully enough.

About bichirs, you can have them with stingrays, but just make sure that the bichirs get enough food. Stingrays, especially Motoros, are more food aggressive than bichirs, and by my experience faster too.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
T1Karmin told me of a large motoro ray he had that got really hungry...it cornered his FF/prochilodus and sucked its eye balls out! :eek: I remember a few years back catching my 14 inch motoro overlapping my 4 inch clown loaches against the glass of their tank; the ray would spend a lot of time maneuvering the loach underneath it, trying to work it towards its mouth. I would then have to pound the tank with my fist and/or use a fishnet to make him release the loach. This happened quite a few times before I finally decided to get rid of the loaches...

MananaP

T1Karmin told me of a large motoro ray he had that got really hungry...it cornered his FF/prochilodus and sucked its eye balls out! :eek: I remember a few years back catching my 14 inch motoro overlapping my 4 inch clown loaches against the glass of their tank; the ray would spend a lot of time maneuvering the loach underneath it, trying to work it towards its mouth. I would then have to pound the tank with my fist and/or use a fishnet to make him release the loach. This happened quite a few times before I finally decided to get rid of the loaches...

well i read about this, i borrowed a book about stingrays from my friend and rays ussually does that if he is bothered by some other fish like catfish or pleco etc... they stated this is not agression... i doubt rays can hurt a laoch the fact that laoches have spikes on both sides of their cheeks...

@tim

well i would bring it back from the store where they came from and maybe get some credit out of it or just give it away.i won't risk on loosing my ray for some cheap laoches hehehehe...well i was noticing today that they are not bothering my ray anymore or as much so i might leave it as they are for now. but if i see anymore nipping i will surely take them out of the tank.i was planning to get another motoro but this time i want to get a marble one.would you have any idea of how much they would cost? about 5-7inch disc size? i have heard they cost the same as normal motoros at that size hmpd?

Tim thanks for everything, i now have a healthy speciment. tail is getting fatter and he is one agressive eater. This morning he took 3 different pieces of chopped up night crawlers from 3 different laoches mouth by covering them while they were eating and sucking the worms out of their mouths hahaha pretty funny to watch,then after the laoches loose his food and the ray releases the laoch.Laoches then looks around like "WHERE THE HECK DID MY FOOD GO,WHO STOLE MY FOOD" LOL...:D

Last edited: