PIG NOSE TURTLES?

CHILLI RED

Does anyone here keep pig nose turtles with their arowana? Where are they sold?( in Toronto area) How much do they cost and for what size? Thanks for any info you may have.

jackson

I see them sale at around 350-700 depends on the size.

I know most people keep them with fish but it really is not a good idea to do so. They will nip at fish and most of the time kill them once they have grown. Plus you risk water quality for your fish because of how dirty FRT's can be. This can also cause disease to your fish.

Call Luckys and see if they can get any. This is were I see them.

EKen

Super Moderator
Chilli Red:
Welcome...Jackson is right. I had two of them, sold one. They do get more aggressive as they grow older and bigger. And yes they are dirty and produce a lot of bioload.

I keep them for Feng Shui purpose, and they look very cute. They are cute monsters. If you can't find them at lfs, you can check on kijiji.ca.

jackson

I think from what I was told most turtles are ilegal to sell but that does not stop any of the stores I have been to.

EKen~ This is very funny LOL
"I keep them for Feng Shui purpose, and they look very cute"

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I asked an authority on PNT for information on their status. He told me they have been CITES class 2 since 2004. Illegal to export without permit and vet certificate. Indonesia is main place for illegal collection and export now.

Apparently there is someone in or near MONTREAL who is breeding them! Any one heard anythng? That would make sense since they seem to be readily available in eastern Canada...

jackson

I have not heard of any breeding in captivity. If they say they are they are most likely talking out their you know what. Montreal is the HOT SPOT in Canada were all the illegal to import turtles come from as well as tortoises. The guy's there bring many illegal to import turts and torts to sell to guy's in other provinces. So these guy's might be saying this just to cover up the fact that they are bringing them in illegally and selling them.

From what was told the only place that might have bred them not confirmed is in Malaysia. This is not fact just people talking.

EKen

Super Moderator
Jackson:
OK I'll admit, I keep them because my girlfriend won't let me sell them away...

It's true, I am from Montreal and got them pretty easily. I guess Montreal people are bad... tsk tsk tsk

ninjaturtle

its hard to get them in Toronto now, last couple of years you can get them readily, now you cant find any.... when i went to hongkong, these guys were worth $30 before bargaining...

CHILLI RED

I read some info from Scott Thomson from the University of Canberra about PNT's. He says that they have been bred in captivity only 3 times. As yet none of these ones born in captivity have been sold. There are no licenced breeders of Pnt's for sale and there never have been. Many are smuggled out of Indonesia by locals stealing eggs from beaches. The eggs are incubated and the hatchlings exported. This was the basis for the recent listing of the species on CITES II. He also says that they are extremely aggressive towards other PNT's so they require a very large tank if they are to be housed together. So sounds like trying to breed them would not be easy. I have emailed this Scott Thompson for more information. I will keep you all posted.

jackson

From what I know the only places that have reported captive breeding are Zoo's. I personaly dont think this is the same as having some average joe breed them at home.

frozen-fire

It's true what jackson stated, montreal is the hotspot for illegally imported turtles.

I've seen some video on the internet where it showed a PNT hatching out of it's egg. However, it was all underwater. The hatchlings are somewhat stimulated to cut open shell with egg tooth as they are submerged underwater. It was neat to watch. They know how to swim instantly and come up for air. This water somehow coincides with the rainy season or some kind of seasonal flooding and is necessary for proper hatching of teh eggs. Or maybe I am completely wrong and it was all a dream?

jackson

Well I hope it was not a dream LOL

Do you know what the link was to the vid? I would love to see that.