And so it begins... 1300 gallon setup

glamit

man the boys have grown up eh!....have they ran into that big stump? I find putting driftwoods with so many aros is a risk as when they start chasing they run into things...very nice system as always.

hey Chen
i usually rarely ever put in driftwood when i have even one aro but this tank imo was too big to leave bare. I tried to use as little as possible however i havent seen them run into the driftwood but more so getting injured by jumping and hitting the lids. thanks

glamit

Nice Glen, do you get flow from your far end of the tank to the overflow?

im using a powerhead right now so the water doesnt get stagnant.. im just waiting for the UV sterilizer then im going put a pump there. i was going to completely cut the overflow off then i figured it would be a good place to put all the heaters for the rays

AroNoob

Hey Glen,

Are they on order? Just wondering cause my Hagen rep was looking into the Lagunas you asked about. I think I am going with an Aqua Ultraviolet, Eric (EEYY) has good prices on them.

Ron

glamit

Hey Glen,

Are they on order? Just wondering cause my Hagen rep was looking into the Lagunas you asked about. I think I am going with an Aqua Ultraviolet, Eric (EEYY) has good prices on them.

Ron

i actually wanted to go with the aqua ultra but i was scared the flow would be way to fast for the UV to work properly. i could be wrong but my 1300 gallon is running 8000 gallons per hour on 6 feet of height. thats why i was gonna go with a seperate unit in my overflow

AroNoob

8000 gph....wowsers. That's more than they recommend for any of their top mounted Ultima IIs, are you running a Ultima II 6000? You could run a SL 200 watt UV sterilizer at 8000 gph but it would probably cost you >$1400.

glamit

8000 gph....wowsers. That's more than they recommend for any of their top mounted Ultima IIs, are you running a Ultima II 6000? You could run a SL 200 watt UV sterilizer at 8000 gph but it would probably cost you >$1400.

thats more then recommended on square tanks, because my tank is U shaped i needed to plumb around the tank. Everytime the pvc makes a turn i lose gph therefore if i were to use a 6000 gph pump on the ultima 4000 the water wouldnt even make it around to the other end of the tank. Its recommended to keep the gph low but my psi is actually under the recommended max so theres a lot of different options

AroNoob

I understand the pressure drop to due to your hydrostatic head, elbows and pipe friction, I just thought you meant your system was outputting 8000 gph. So when I do my calculations I will back calculate from my optimal 2000 gph from my return through my system to my pump and I am guessing I'll will need a pump that will do 2000 gph @ 20' of head.

glamit

I usually just check the psi on the aqua ultima, if you plan on building a 450 gallon?? imo i suggest you use a reeflo barracuda or dart it gets the job done and the pumps are actually very quiet and its pretty cheap too.

AroNoob

I usually just check the psi on the aqua ultima, if you plan on building a 450 gallon?? imo i suggest you use a reeflo barracuda or dart it gets the job done and the pumps are actually very quiet and its pretty cheap too.

Don't think the Dart will do and I can't find a Barracuda, any leads on where I can get one?

snow

Just want to ask but I was looking at some older pics of the tank and I see you had sand in the tank but in the new pics the tank is bare bottom. Why did you take the sand out?

glamit

when i bought the sand i wanted really fine sand so to not scratch the glass.. didnt really think of how light it would be with the flow of my tank. after awhile a lot of the sand got lifted up and went into my sump. so then i decided to just take all the sand out. good thing i made the background black.