Mammon/Ingot Parrots Pics

impalass

Bought 5 Mammon/Ingot parrots from Dragon King Aquarium, Markham June 2009. List price $220. (paid less) Wrote up the whole experience here (see old post).
Lost 2, reason unknown and to add insult to injury the remaining 3 have only grown 1" in 16 months with a variety of foods, hikari food sticks, cichlid gold, carnivore, massivore, shrimp pellets and frozen foods, mp,
talapia, and occational beefheart. Plus 2 water changes per week with Eheim 2262 + 2028 (sub.pro) filtration.
All my oyher fish have shown accelerated growth rates. Guess they do not like my water. (owners of DKA told me they need discus quality h2o)
I plan to keep these disappointments to see if they ever reach their full potential.
They come microchipped with certificates.

PS After the first one cacked I put them in a 90g by themselves x2 water changes per week and ended up losing the second one.

PSS This is just my experience, hopefully others have had better results.

Attachments

• SDC10395.jpg
    SDC10395.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,003
  • SDC10342.jpg
    SDC10342.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,360
Last edited:

impalass

More Mammon/Ingot

Found a couple more (crappy) shots, 90g.

Attachments

• SDC10299.jpg
    SDC10299.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,154
  • SDC10301.jpg
    SDC10301.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,084

kman

someone call the cops now

u got rapped and robbed

why not go back to store and tell them shove that cert up theirs...it's obviously fake

chen88

Super Moderator
I'd say something to them about the fish. Definitely not looking like what they were selling. Also never trust certs too much, make sure fish looks like the species you are buying! Buy for the fish and not the cert..D

Last edited:
i bought 6 of them last year, 4 are small size like yours, only 1 out of 4 has the same problem like yours, and two of them are growing to adult size, and they are still growing.

i will post some photo tomorrow.

impalass

I checked the 'Happybreed' web site before purchasing, the microchips where read and matched under my nose, as for the certificates being fake anythings possible but 'obviously fake' ? I don't see it, check their web site. (how can you tell from my inferior picture)
When bought they looked exactly like they where supposed to, again re; web site.
The owner and son (Tom) stand by their water quality explanation, and as disappointed as I am, I'm willing to give them the benifit of the doubt.
One does not have to search long on these and other forums to see there are fingers pointed at every LFS in the GTA.
Howardhsieh, I really look forward to seeing your pics.
Thank you all for your inputs.

Edit: In time they my still grow, or not, either way I'll post updates.

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
Ive not seen many mammon and or KKP and or any other type of these variants keep their colour long...perhaps it's in the food they eat with a bit of colouring that helps maintain their red colour for these species.

You're right, pretty much every LFS gets fingers pointed to them....nothing wrong to point things like yours out in the forum as it helps all other members here in hopes their buy makes them happy. This hobby of our is not a cheap hobby!...we're not buying feeding gold fish to raise (perhaps to feed), therefore if there are people out there include LFS that does not do an honest busy and or does not look into what they are selling...then shame on them. No different when Matt was told by his LFS that the tigers he purchased were ST's when in fact they were not!....he was fortunate enough to get his money back!....so all this is good for members to know what others here have had difficulties in and try to prevent it in the future.

Last edited:

impalass

Chen I see your point and agree, forums are a great medium were we can all share and learn. It's good to post experiences, positive and negative.
But, if you are comparing Matts experence to mine, I disagree, the vendor stressed to me just how delicate the mammons are to water conditions before I bought them. I witnessed the microchip readings and numbers matched up to my picks, in two readings the certificates could not be found and I was given two higher priced mammons no extra charge. All the while being reminded to treat them like discus.
After loosing two, (months after buying) the store offered me one new one for the two dead plus one at half price. Due to a back injury I put it off and put it off, back became worse, freezer was cleaned out, and I never pursued the offer.
In conclusion I cannot fault Dragon King Aquarium, perhaps I should have elaborated more in my first post.
As to colour and Parrots, around a month ago I took in 2 KKP +2 PP, all 4+ years old, XXL and very red, to Steve at Dragon Aquarium, maybe you've seen them? They were raised on hikari foods sticks, cichlid gold and more.
In the past I've traded some very nice Purple Parrots with KMan, he has them to this day and they even had koks.(spell?)
Anyway on good days even my disappointing mammons show good red. One of them even had a mini kok going on when kept with the KKP+PP now its gone, beleive or not.

Last edited:
well, i just email the pic to impalass. still i dont know what cause red mammon to grow or to turn red or not, because i have them all in the same tank and two grow fast one grow slow and one doesnt grow, and two stay red colour one stay orange and one turn white.

also dragon king is the only LFS who pull the trigger to imported these fishes, its like super red aro 12 years ago, who knows how they are going to turn out.

and i compared the qualityof red mammon between dragon king and taiwan LFS, happy breed farm did send their better stock to oversea.

kman

mark: here is vid of your old parrot:

legger: your black is doing just fine

rtg: our buddy ted's fish under my other videos

chen: your geos doing fine too

In the past I've traded some very nice Purple Parrots with KMan, he has them to this day and they even had koks.(spell?)

Joey

Im a bit dissappointed in the outcome of your mammons.. I hope that they turn out like advertised for you.

I could see if one of them didnt reach their potential, but for all 3 not to, says something..

They kind of look like stunted red devils or midas at this point.

senthus

Another bad thing at the lfs is the lighting which I find most of them dont let you know what they use even after you ask.

chen88

Super Moderator
true...wonder what happens if you ask them to turn off the lighting for you to get a good look at the fish in natural lighting. I find that my Aros look much nicer with natural light then they do with lighting. Nan lighting really shows off the reds, not sure on XB's and at times it looks very artificial but they do look nice....

I do not know about you guys, but Tommy at dragon king is VERY helpful and always ensures that you get quality fish in top notch condition.
The fact that he replaced one mammon is enough IMO.
He really is an excellent vendor, just ask him to switch the lights or something and im sure he will, when i buy fish he always feeds them hikari food sticks to prove the eat pellets and whenever i call asks how are they doing and etc.
Dragon King is one of the better LFS in ontario. BTW when they said mammon require water that meets discus keeping parameters they weren't wrong.

impalass

After viewing Howards "show piece" mammon I threw the towel in and returned my three runts. I was compensated fairly and inspite of my personal dissapointment with mammons I cannot fault Dragon King Aquarium Centre.
They have not placed anymore orders with HappyBreed due to inferior growth rates with most of the mammons, some of which are still in the store. Taiwan blames the hard water of the GTA each and every time Tom or his father address this issue, offer no help, no compensation or new stock in lue of.
The are very frustrated and dissappionted with HappyBreed.
I agree with Howards opinions on this matter, HB send their best elsewhere, to Japan and others, with DKAC recieving fish that do not live up to HappyBreeds own standards. If you buy enough mammon like the lottery some may be winners and grow.
I respect DKAC for trying to bring something new into Canada, a high end product from a supposedly reputable farm, they took a gamble with their own money for the betterment of the hobby (and their buss. of course)
Through no fault of their own things did not turn out as expected.
Furthermore I believe Tom and his father to be honourble gentlemen and comments like "the certificates are obviusly fake" do a disservice to our forum.
I plan to contact HappyBreed reguarding this matter, their poor choice of first shipment, how it affects the hobby and the HappyBreed name.

Last edited: