Stung

chen88

Super Moderator
BTW - was the barb left inside and they had to cut it out? or you able to pull it out? The barb can be toxic long after it leaves the ray apparently.

They did an X-ray as well as ultrasound the next day to make sure nothing was inside and it all came out negative so all seems fine.

Had a terrible day yesterday, not so much the finger but whole body was out of sort. Probably from all the needles and pills I've been taking. Better this morning so far...

I still find it odd that so far I appear to be the first so called case of stingray bites in Canada...there's so many of us here that gave them....I can't be the only idiot out there? Can I? Lol

Last edited:

Diablored

I thought I read about the same thing happening to someone else a few years back. That being said I can not find any more info on it. Glad you are alright. Is there a scale of stingray venom, what I mean is one type more toxic vs another?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Charles from Canadian Aquatics got stung on his mid fore arm; he showed me the scar years ago. He mentioned that another fellow in Vancouver got stung too. I wonder if one's reaction to stingray venom varies the way it does with bee/wasp venom? I'd think if anyone has a bee allergy and keeps rays they should have one of those "epi pens" near their tank so they don't go into shock?

cheon

Guy I know in Calgary got pricked on his knuckle.went to emergency cuz he couldn't stand the pain. They gave him 2 shots of morpheme right way. Says he can stil feel a tingling felling some days. And he's a big boy.

Gumby79

They did an X-ray as well as ultrasound the next day to make sure nothing was inside and it all came out negative so all seems fine.

Had a terrible day yesterday, not so much the finger but whole body was out of sort. Probably from all the needles and pills I've been taking. Better this morning so far...

I still find it odd that so far I appear to be the first so called case of stingray bites in Canada...there's so many of us here that gave them....I can't be the only idiot out there? Can I? Lol

Your not lol I got tagged many a years ago, posted it on MFK here is the link

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?34420-Ray-Safety-Thread

Been grazed once since then from a pup.

jsodwi

Wow now you have me nervous. I recently pulled my 3 rays out and cut their barbs due to a big dat being stung and killed. Maybe I should use extreme caution while doing this again

chen88

Super Moderator
fricken swelling on the finger hasn't gone down...it's starting to hurt a little more today considering it'll be 2 weeks this monday. I'm just about all out of antibiotics .... have my 3rd follow up appointment with doctor on monday...and to think I was going to cancel it thinking its not needed..lol...now I wished the appointment was tomorrow.

david16

I was looking forward to start a stingray tank but I am not so sure now. Just imagine getting stung without anyone else in the house.

Anyways, hope you get well soon Chen.

chen88

Super Moderator
I was looking forward to start a stingray tank but I am not so sure now. Just imagine getting stung without anyone else in the house.

Anyways, hope you get well soon Chen.

David, don't take my idiotic move to change your mind on getting rays! besides Arowana's they are IMHO the nicest freshwater fish to keep.

kimrocks

Like Aros, they have their personalities.

One of my RTG took out my adult Female Ray recently, she has a big barb but never seem to have tried to use it to defend herself.

For me, it is a bit of an eye-opener to read from this thread that Dats had been killed by barbs from Rays.

Perhaps Males are more aggressive than Females?

Some species are more likely to strike back than others perhaps?

Or it falls down the individual personality of the Ray in question?

exoticaquaria

Chen, sorry to hear your hand is still burning. Hope it starts to die down soon.

Kim, it all falls under invading their space. When feel threatened, they will defend themselves. As simple as that. The shitty part is that these guys definitely know how to use their stingers!!!

A well known member on arofanatics recently got stuck as well. As we can all see from the below vid, when agitated, rays will strike. Maybe its better to get a stingray without a tail like my female pearl for those that are scared of the spine!

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjHo7tSY8CQ"]How it stings.. - YouTube[/ame]

Kyuss

Im sure its a little agitated for sure with the provoking.....but a great demonstration of their defence.....I wish the oilers had defence

Flapjacks 1

Wow, new to this site...great story. So any long term effects?

Unfortunately a friend of mine on Facebook recently got stung by a pup. Instead of keeping his hand in hot water, he decided to burn the area with a lighter and pour boiling water on the site!
He showed a pic of the area 14 days later with the scab removed...holey mackerel! Looked terrible and deep.