180gal tank qusetion

m.m

i wanna upgrade my 120gal tank to 180gal.but now i worry about tank weight.
can my apartment hold up a 180gal tank?:confused:

Absolutely it can and more. Think about it in very simple terms if a 180 gallon tank won't collapse some of the flimsy store bought melamine or lightly stapled wood stand then how would it collapse 2x10's standing on end especially if against the grain ( even strong 2x4 stands are nothing compared to the strength of the 2x10's ). I have a friend who lives in an older house with a 180 and a very full 75 gallon under it that's running parallel with the beams and not a peep ( have a friend who had one over 300 gallons on the second floor also ). Or you could equate a 180 as about 8 or 9 people standing together for a picture and if that was enough to bring the floor down then there would be some serious structural issues. Plus the fact the 180 is longer and the weight being more spread out so I say go for it! Hell go even bigger! lol :)

i wanna upgrade my 120gal tank to 180gal.but now i worry about tank weight.
can my apartment hold up a 180gal tank?:confused:

I should say back in the day(way back! Lol)when I was about 15 I had a 135 gallon on the worst store bought stand in history. It was basically just a sheet of melamine for a bottom , another sheet for the top and basically open in the middle with two doors on each end. So holding it up were 4 small sheets of melamine running vertically (2 for each set of doors) and that was it except for a few melamine strips to connect and provide support. How they designed this stand to hold a tank up was beyond me and just scary but I was just happy to have a big tank at the time lol. As it had gotten a bit wet a couple times the melamine started to swell which worried me so started screwing 2x4 supports to keep it up as it was turning into oatmeal in parts ( the things you do when your broke and like big fish lol)

Arrow

If its concrete then no problem, but if its on the second floor or higher and wood then you may wanna do some research

m.m

I should say back in the day(way back! Lol)when I was about 15 I had a 135 gallon on the worst store bought stand in history. It was basically just a sheet of melamine for a bottom , another sheet for the top and basically open in the middle with two doors on each end. So holding it up were 4 small sheets of melamine running vertically (2 for each set of doors) and that was it except for a few melamine strips to connect and provide support. How they designed this stand to hold a tank up was beyond me and just scary but I was just happy to have a big tank at the time lol. As it had gotten a bit wet a couple times the melamine started to swell which worried me so started screwing 2x4 supports to keep it up as it was turning into oatmeal in parts ( the things you do when your broke and like big fish lol)

thank you advice;)

m.m

If its concrete then no problem, but if its on the second floor or higher and wood then you may wanna do some research

im living at 2 floor and its wood building.
now my 100gal and 20gal sump is ok as well.im not sure floor will support 180gal water.(i had calculate complete set up weight. its around 800kg:eek:)