Different grade of Asian Aro's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson

Hi I am a bit new to the Asian Aro. I would like to know what the different grades are from lowest to highest or the other way around LOL I would also like to know why they are given these grades and how you can tell them apart? Also what should one be looking for when buying an Aro so they know they are getting a good quality fish? I would also like to know what the fish will end up looking like or should look like? example the blue marble Xback and so on.

I know you experts can give all the info neede in this area and I thought asking would be best for me and any other person on the forum who is in the same boat as I am.

Thanks

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
You are opening up a whole bunch of questions that need to be addressed here for sure!

I am short on time right now (moving day), but am sure the forum will respond. Perhaps we need to start by refining the questions a bit more? I think there could be two or three separate threads here...i.e. How to select an aro, Explanation of the grading system, etc.

jackson

I agree I just did not want to start 3 threads with out knowing if it is good idea.

Godd luck with the move:)

protoxeno

Basically everything in a nut shell...although might be too simplifying...

xbacks comes in a few flavours mainly the core colours of their scales that most commonly known to be blue core colours that shine and reflected by light. Most people prefer the deeper the blue the better like the marble blue xback which is Panda's highest grade of blue base xback. There are other colours of core colour too like purple.

Speaking of purple core based arowanas are the violet fusion that has purple core colours. Reds are differentiated by the same basic grading system of different core colours on the scales. The purple colour core in reds are what seems to be popular.

Now I believe in sinagapore xbacks and reds are just as popular and in canada I get a sense that its reds that more dominate.

One other basic to consider high grade besides the different core colours are how gold, how much the gold colour has cross to the 6th lvl of scale, how broad the body. Basically the more gold it is, more cross it is and the more broader the body the higher grade. Now most prefer spoon head type xbacks the higher but realistically, most xbacks have bullet heads and thats just the natures of xbacks.

Reds fit about the same profile as xbacks basically, the redder it is the better, reds crosses over as well and the more cross the better, etc.

Now with RTGs, usually RTGS is about lower goldier than xbacks hence the name red tail golden. Now Panda's HBRTG is a cross between xbacks and RTG so hence the higher lvl of shine, more gold tone and spoon head, which I suppose got it from the RTG side.

when buying an aro you would judge by looking at the above mentioned attributes of the young aro. Of course the higher of the above attributes of the young aro the more expensive it is. That would make sense since your paying more for a more potential aro to turn out with high attributes of either gold or red when in adult. Now there are cases of aros being young and got all the high attributes but in adult they wouldn't turn out as expected. Some people say its due to care of the owner but in my oppinion, its just nature and chances of potential being not as expected are rare cases and shouldn't be considered. A potential quality red or xback will turn out as expected in most cases, like 85% or more. The cases of potential quality turning out not so good is really rare, but some say its contributed to pre sale conditionings like white tank treatments for xbacks in which case the aro is placed in a all white tank that will cause the shine to go up at young age and disappear when aged. But thats just ill practices and high unethical.

FOSSILFISH

Different grade of Asian Aro's

Basically everything in a nut shell...although might be too simplifying...

xbacks comes in a few flavours mainly the core colours of their scales that most commonly known to be blue core colours that shine and reflected by light. Most people prefer the deeper the blue the better like the marble blue xback which is Panda's highest grade of blue base xback. There are other colours of core colour too like purple.

Speaking of purple core based arowanas are the violet fusion that has purple core colours. Reds are differentiated by the same basic grading system of different core colours on the scales. The purple colour core in reds are what seems to be popular.

Now I believe in sinagapore xbacks and reds are just as popular and in canada I get a sense that its reds that more dominate.

One other basic to consider high grade besides the different core colours are how gold, how much the gold colour has cross to the 6th lvl of scale, how broad the body. Basically the more gold it is, more cross it is and the more broader the body the higher grade. Now most prefer spoon head type xbacks the higher but realistically, most xbacks have bullet heads and thats just the natures of xbacks.

Reds fit about the same profile as xbacks basically, the redder it is the better, reds crosses over as well and the more cross the better, etc.

Now with RTGs, usually RTGS is about lower goldier than xbacks hence the name red tail golden. Now Panda's HBRTG is a cross between xbacks and RTG so hence the higher lvl of shine, more gold tone and spoon head, which I suppose got it from the RTG side.

when buying an aro you would judge by looking at the above mentioned attributes of the young aro. Of course the higher of the above attributes of the young aro the more expensive it is. That would make sense since your paying more for a more potential aro to turn out with high attributes of either gold or red when in adult. Now there are cases of aros being young and got all the high attributes but in adult they wouldn't turn out as expected. Some people say its due to care of the owner but in my oppinion, its just nature and chances of potential being not as expected are rare cases and shouldn't be considered. A potential quality red or xback will turn out as expected in most cases, like 85% or more. The cases of potential quality turning out not so good is really rare, but some say its contributed to pre sale conditionings like white tank treatments for xbacks in which case the aro is placed in a all white tank that will cause the shine to go up at young age and disappear when aged. But thats just ill practices and high unethical.

Wow Protoxeno,
How did you become such a pro at writing about the different grades of Aro's?
Last Nov 30th, 07 you had a question on "Extreme" asking if any one knew the deifference between XB & RTG.

Here's your question below;

protoxeno
Greenie

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:17 pm Post subject: How much golder is xback compared to RTG?

Hey guys just a question to you experts out there who had seen full adult xbacks and RTGs. How much golder is xback compared to RTG? Can we use a numberic digit like 2x, 3x and such? And Is xback tend to be more shiney as well?

I am a bit confused on the who comparsion between RTG and xbacks. I know xbacks got all the perlies and it crossover to lvl 6 and RTG doesn't but in rare cases you can find some RTG that looks like xbacks. I find the xback prices are more top than reds in the GTA so I want to know if the difference is really huge.

Protoxeno, Lets be honest here.

Who's the real genius behind the answer? I find it hard to beleive that it was your words used in answering this question.
As a Moderator, do you have hired writers to answer questions for you?

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but, you made a valid comment on my Arow on Extremehub, concerning my VIP and how it is not worth the money to buy. Then I see you asking about differences in Arow's in another forum.
I am left with the thought that for a person not to know the differences in Arow's you as a MODERATOR should be commenting on other ppl's fish.
I think you realy don't know what U R talking about.
I almost feel ripped off, your comments about my VIP stated that my fish is a late bloomer and not worth the price, when you know nothing about the different phases a FGXB goes thru in it's colour changes.

Now this!
I am sure most Memebers of EXTRME & AROWANA CLUB CANADA, would like an explanation on how you came up with this elaborate perfect answer, concerning you were confused a few days ago.

Care to reply?

I invite all members to reply as well. Or, maybe I'm just being one sided?

:eek::eek:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
This is our first potential argument on the board. It has come a bit earier than I expected. I suggest we keep the thread open for Protoxono to respond. However, I must ask that posts be kept civil and that direct insults be avoided.

jackson

I am sort of pissed off that you fossilfish would come in and talk crap to protoxeno and take away from the questions I asked. I feel if you have beef with the guy do it through PM's dont corrupt the thread for others who want to learn. I am not taking sides just pointing out the truth.

I totaly understand were you are coming from fossilfish but please take it to the PM's. You do bring up some valid points as well.

Last edited:

Alx

I would say we have to be careful, not to prevent new people to share what they just learned, and I don't see anything wrong or misleading in PROTOXENO answer.
- other then if we state something; original source or reference would be beneficial.
- If someone see discrepancy post on it,with the source to back it up.

Lets attack the problem not the person.

FOSSILFISH welcome to the forum.

protoxeno

fossilfish, I asked on extreme about not the difference of RTG and xback but simply how much goldier it is. I am sure that my confusion of how much golider it is between a RTG and xback should really relate to my answer to jackson. Yes I am confused how much golider it is and really I have seen ones thats ranges in times and wanted to clarify. I dont' see a problem and a relation about my answer to jackson's question and your criticism. Maybe perhaps your mentality is "If your no expert and don't perfectly know about aros, you shouldn't say anything" But of course that theory and rule shouldn't be only applied to anything especially a forum discussion in which the entire basic idea of a forum is consisted of personal oppinions.

Now when your at a forum whatever you write is of your own oppinion yes? And of course my answer to jackson's question is of my own personal oppinion in which in no way a bible or any fixed rule to follow.

And no my answer wasn't that perfect as you claimed it to be. Wasn't it the first thing I stated to my answer to jackson that my answer is overally simplified?

As a mod why couldn't I comment on other peoples fish? BTW I am a mod here and when I made the comment, I clearly am not a mod over at extremehub. Also I can't recall that I commented on your fish that you posted titled "My prized High Quality VIP FGXB". As I looked back at the post on extremehub the only thing I said was "I didn't know you had a PG peacockbass. Post some pics for us :)", So I don't understand how I made a valid comment on your aro about YOUR VIP aros. Maybe you were talking about the other post of "The Big debate on VIP". Personally prices in GTA is way overprice and thats why I say VIP isn't worth your bucks.

I don't know how one could such disagree to your extent to attack me personally. Perhaps your just mad mainly your from a LFS in the GTA and seem to really dislike the debate on VIP aros that I posted in extremehub and question if your VIP is really worth 2.5k to 3k+ as it does hurt your business. If your in a situation like this, I need to remind you the forum isn't mainly for promoting business and misleading hobbyist but the other way around. I really don't give a rates ass about LFS and their business, all in all, in my PERSONAL oppinion, which means by no means anyone reading is to follow my PERSONAL oppinion, $2.5k-3k for an aro? Give me a break. It is time that the prices is to go down, and the local hobbyist time to get affordable high quality aros has arrived.

jackson

Listen guy's lets not have this little exchange of words go any further. I would love to hear what both of you have to say in regards to my ?'s but I dont care for this bickering back and forth. I bet others dont as well. I keep checking this thread to see if any more info has been posted so I can learn more and all I get is a cyber edition of Jerry Springer.

Protoxeno if you have any more info to help me get used to the whole high grade low grade issue I am having that would be great as well as you Fossilfish. I would really like more info if that is possible. Please dont make them close this thread.

Thanks guy's

DragonfishExotics

I agree, sometimes arguements can be productive to a certain extent, be respect has to be used when talking on this board. Pretty much the way Cirrus put it.

Either way though the thread is kinda being jacked for Jackson the op and what has been said really has nothing to do with the original question

EKen

Super Moderator
I heard Protoxeno and FossilFish are meeting somewhere in a parking lot...

But on a serious note:
Let me start by saying, I don't hate on Panda, neither on the LFS. I am not even from the GTA. But I keep on hearing that "this particular brand" of aro is not worth 2.5K or 3K, and this kind of offenses me. I can understand perfectly why FossilFish feels offended. Protoxeno, if I stated on a public forum that your HBRTG is not worth whatever price you paid for it, you would hold a grudge against me too.

You also have to understand the fact that some people are willing to pay a higher price for freedom of choice. I am referring here to the fact that as of right now, group order arowanas are basically a blind buy. Arowanas are something that can last a lifetime (well at least a long time), so paying even a few hundreds higher for a fish that YOU selected yourself is worth it, in my humble opinion. Would you get a girlfriend because you heard she was goodlooking, or would you spend more time and money to make sure that she is in fact pretty and to be able to choose the right one, the one that you really want.

I rarely see "LFS Customer" people stating that buying from a group order is not worth it as you can't choose your fish. I guess the "LFS customers" respect the "Group Order Customers" choice. I believe things the other way around should be the same.

One last thing, Protoxeno, of course you can state your personal opinion. But you also have to note that, as a moderator of this forum, your words have more weight than the average joe's. So stating unfounded things like "this brand of aro" is not worth the price may mislead the new hobbyist. Let the customer be the judge, only give him the informations to help him make a decision. You don't see "Non-Panda" Arowana keeper disrespecting Panda Arowanas, you should do the same.

protoxeno

TO: Eken

If you are to say my HBRTG isn't worth what I paid for, I wouldn't hold a grudge but I would expect some logic and reason. If you don't have any I wouldn't hold a grudge against you either. When you say a few hundred, its actually not like a few thats 200-400, more like 1k for that freedom of choice on red and xbacks which only applies to that, and yes I respect that, don't be mistaken that I took it upon myself to offend those who paid more for that freedom of choice you mentioned. I only merely mentioned the fact the price should more reasonable. Comparing fish to a girlfriend would be over comparing.

When you say you rarely see "LFS customers" people stating buying from a group order isn't worth it as you can't choose your fish, actually that was stated on extremehub a while back and was mentioned it was a blind buy when buying from group buy as to LFS buy and how it needed assurance theres no bait and switch and the mod chen stated theres risk involve in group buy and his questioning of group buys. I rather enjoy the other peoples concerns about the dangers that lurks in group buys. That extremehub post is more info that helped me to decide to buy from group buys on my PG or not. Stating worth it or not sure didn't deter my decision but only help educate me further, recognizing risk vs savings. And in the end I decided that I would risk it instead of paying that extra $400 at LFS for my PG, remember that 400 more only applies to RTG, not in the case of reds and xback which is more than a few hundred, 1k+.

Yes as a mod I should consider my words have more weight, but I expect all would question me as of any person. Still I apologize not realizing that point and truly expressed myself and my own opinions. I am too used to expressing myself to the fullest as I thought I was still a normal forum reader that can express myself. For that I apologize once again.

To: Jackson, ok no more replies from me defending myself as any further decision of these debates are not useful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.