Essentials to keeping Asian arowana

Kenta

Administrator
Belonging to a class of its own, Asian arowana are rightfully called Majestic Dragons. Arrogant in motion, yet graceful with every push they are a fish that must receive the very best of care.
Below are some essentials in keeping Asian arowana. This is not an exhaustive list of essentials... feel free to add your own to the list!

IMG_1555_1.jpg

1) Tank size

When people ask what size tank i recommend when purchasing an Asian arowana, i always respond, "As large as you can afford". Asian arowana are large powerful fish, and need ample space to show off their beautiful swim and stature. For a single specimen, and considering their adult size of 24-30+" I recommend at minimum a standard 180g tank (6' X 2' X 2'). Although not the perfect size for an arowana, a standard 180g is readily available and costs within reason. For arowana width is more important than depth. A 30"+ wide tank is much more comfortable for a large fish... regardless i recommend at least 24" turning space. That said, many people choose the "grow out" method for juvenile arowana, slowly upgrading tank size as the fish grows.

Water quality

Water quality can make or break any fish. It is hard to give a solid percent of water to change because everyones setups and tap water are different. Do what you must, but i recommend nitrates under 40ppm, and of course ammonia and nitrites at 0ppm. PH is another very important water quality. Consistency is far more important than keeping the "perfect" PH. Anything between 7-8 should be ok, avoid PH swings at any cost. Regular water changes and tank maintenance help to control nitrates, as well as how you stock your tank. Regularily rinse your filter media in tank water, change water at least every 7-10days, give your substrate a good vaccuuming, clean up any uneaten food and rotting plant matter.

Diet

A varied diet will ensure your dragonfish stays healthy and vibrant in color. Commonly fed foods are prawn/shrimp, various pellets, fish fillets, scallops, squid, beefheart and other meaty foods. Feeders are acceptable given you raise your own (convict cichlids are commonly used) so you can monitor their health and minimize contracting any disease.
Juveniles will ideally receive smaller more frequent meals and as adults they can eat everyday or every other day.

danfong88

Not eating for 3 days now- MY AROWANA- 12"

Hello,

Can someone help me? my aro is not eating for 3 days now. I drop the fish while transporting into the tank and it has lost 3 scale on it's back.
It has been 3 days now, I tired to give frozen shrimp and live feeder fish but without any results. What should I do ? I am scare if does not eat it will die.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

jackson

Hello,

Can someone help me? my aro is not eating for 3 days now. I drop the fish while transporting into the tank and it has lost 3 scale on it's back.
It has been 3 days now, I tired to give frozen shrimp and live feeder fish but without any results. What should I do ? I am scare if does not eat it will die.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Post a new thread in the health section. you will get al ot more help that way:)

EDIT--- it's the Hospital section:)

Marius

Tank size
When people ask what size tank i recommend when purchasing an Asian arowana, i always respond, "As large as you can afford". Asian arowana are large powerful fish, and need ample space to show off their beautiful swim and stature. For a single specimen, and considering their adult size of 24-30+" I recommend at minimum a standard 180g tank (6' X 2' X 2'). Although not the perfect size for an arowana, a standard 180g is readily available and costs within reason. For arowana width is more important than depth. A 30"+ wide tank is much more comfortable for a large fish... regardless i recommend at least 24" turning space. That said, many people choose the "grow out" method for juvenile arowana, slowly upgrading tank size as the fish grows.

A few simple observations to support Kenta
...an arowana costs thousands of dollars, they deserve a show tank. Even a massive 400-500 gallons can sometimes be cheaper than one arowana ;)
...the bigger the tank, the better the water quality as the protein doesn't pollute the water as fast as in small setups.
...filtration, even if one has top of the line filtration, the size of the tank is crucial in the development, health issues and optimal growth of a dragon.
...most of the time the tankmates of choice of most hobbyists are very sensitive species as rays, or catfish (like Tigrinus) for example, species that require even better quality than one can expect for their dragons.
...I know a lot of people don't keep their dragons with expectation of breeding them, but in larger setups rule of thumb would be that it's a better chance of being able to keep communities and to even try to breed one's dragons.

As soon as I can think of more I'll add them :)

1goodcatch

hey there
when I got my 16"RTG, he had a smooth trip and into my tank. He too did not eat for 9+ days. I was told they need to adjust, get used to the new tank. He eventually stated to eat, his fav. meal worms but not consistent. It took him 2 months to eat regularly, morning 3 worms and evenings 3 worms...
as long he is active, swiming properly its just a waiting game..
good lick friend. I know how you feel as I was in your place 3 months ago :-(
hope your fish does not take as long as mine did.
what kind do you have?

peacockbass

the most important thing to remember when keeping aros is KEEP THE TANK SECURED....number one killer of aros..are themselves when they jump out of the tank....keep lids secured and leave zero openings....