Stingrays do jump out of tanks!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I had one of my leos jump out of my tank today while I was at work. The tank is a Marineland 300; it has glass lids that both slide or lift open. I was totally not worried about my stingrays jumping because I have never heard of stingrays jumping out of tanks. The lid was not even fully open, was just slid about 4 inches from the side due to protruding outflows from sump. I had noticed the ray popping up and down the side of the tank, and the thought had crossed my mind that the ray could go airborn if it really wanted to, but I dispelled the thought from my mind, was not at all worried. Fed the rays this morning their usual shrimp, was feeling glad to see them growing so fast. Came home after work to one dried out pancake on the floor. :(

I am so fed up with this glass tank and its glass lids. I miss my old Tenecor with its secure acrylic perimeter along the top.

Tomorrow I am going to get some acrylic pieces cut to measure for the tank opening and lay them on top instead of the glass panels.

Hopefully others can learn from my mistake/loss.

chen88

Super Moderator
Damn...sorry to hear that Theo.....get the rest of the openings sealed up right away!....my rays are too fat and lazy to swim up the sides....but i do have my lids pretty tight and with acrylic lips...it's good...good luck..

skynoch

Ya, it's actually fairly common as stingrays will go up and down the sides but if spooked while doing so they get a burst of speed and right out. Sorry to hear this has happened to you. Tim has had it happen a few times and me twice but I've got to them soon enough and it was no problem. The only thing I didn't like about my acrylic tank was the openings where to small to get rays out after they had grown in the tanks. A nice acrylic/glass hybrid would be the answer.

Raymann88

Sorry to hear about your ray. I had a ray that would swim up the side and "hang" off the side to let you pet it. Never thought it would jump out though.

rudy

Sorry to hear Theo. I should have posted a few months ago when my male p14 did the exact something....twice. Same tank as well. :( He lived though

exoticaquaria

Sorry to hear Theo. I should have posted a few months ago when my male p14 did the exact something....twice. Same tank as well. :( He lived though

wow you are lucky! twice on the floor and happen to be that your are home to save the day. lucky ray and owner lol.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger

lol no worries Tim. I think we keepers of exotic fish sometimes keep our little missteps to ourselves, other times we don't always realize the value of what we learn on an ongoing basis for others, especially those new to the hobby.

This thread will be a sticky; hopefully others can learn from it...in which case my experience will not be in vain.

And thanks to all for their comments.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I lost the one I would have chosen to lose if I had to lose one; I still have a pair and they look more bd/leo than the one that jumped. A small consolation I guess.