Grades of Asian Arowanas

EKen

Super Moderator
So since the other thread got locked down, let's continue the discussion here, without the "collateral damages".

Jackson (since he was the one asking):
Imho, there are not that many grades of asian arowanas, only commercial names. So basically you have:

Grade 1 Reds:
Those are also called Super Reds. In this category you have the Chili Red and the Blood Red. From what I have learned (or assumed), most breeders now don't breed a particular breed. I mean, most Super Reds are a cross breed between Chili and Blood. In juveniles, it is hard (at least for the newbies like me) to really differentiate the Chili from the Blood. As the reds grow older, some show more characteristics of their bloodline, and that is when people classify them as more Chili or more Blood. Also note that we call them "Super Red", but most of them grow up to be yellowish, orange, or if you are really lucky (or a very good hobbyist) dark orange.

Cross Back Golden:
I believe they are the most expensive on the market. The name comes from the fact that their gold shine goes to the sixth scales line. However, some XBs (the abbreviation of Cross Back) don't cross, those are considered less pretty. Nowadays, we can find many variants of the XB Golden such as Blue Base, Golden Head, Platinum and so on...I have read somewhere that all XB Goldens become Gold as they get older and hence lose their "blue base", but that is for another debate. Some people believe (including myself) that the XB Golden represents money, as the Red represents happyness. That is why in some asian countries, business men keep a Golden Arowana in their office, and a Red at home. Also note that most people refer XBs to Cross Back Golden Arowanas, but the Grade 1 Red Arowanas are also a "Cross Back".

Red Tail Golden:
The most affordable of the High Grade Arowanas (if I can call it that way). Basically, they are cheaper (at least in price) compared to the other gold because their shine is not as good. Nowadays, most RTGs (the abbreviation) are called High Back RTGs, meaning their shine is supposed to get to the 5th scale line. Some "lucky" hobbyists have RTGs that cross, while some "unlucky" hobbyists have HBRTGs that don't even have 5th level shine.

Grade 2 Reds:
Lower Grade Reds, also called Banjar Red, 1.5 Red. There is also Yellow Tails, but I am not sure if they are classified as Grade 2 Reds...

Greens:
Well...They are...green. Some sellers call their Green, Cross Back Greens, but to me, a green is a green. Well, maybe except for the Nami Green who commands a very high price as they are supposed to be very rare. Those Nami Greens are the ones that has a "snake skin pattern" on their cheeks and scales.

Here you go...Remember that this is from my point of view. Please also note that I am no expert in any way. I wrote what I assumed is correct. Any other member, please feel free to fill in or comment my post.

Last edited:

ninjaturtle

Grade 1 Reds:
Also note that we call them "Super Red", but most of them grow up to be yellowish, orange, or if you are really lucky (or a very good hobbyist) dark orange. hmm.. id have to disagree, just people in Canada have not had the years of keeping aros as ppl in asia do, so thats why many have not seen really red reds. most reds ppl have are still young at younger than 3 yrs old, other than that yea his info is pretty accurate to what i know

Cross Back Golden:
I believe they are the most expensive on the market. i think in canada Reds are a lil more expensive due to its demands, reds r more popular here than XBs are
Some people believe (including myself) that the XB Golden represents money, as the Red represents happyness. That is why in some asian countries, business men keep a Golden Arowana in their office, and a Red at home.
haha REDS are actually suppose to be happiness, goodhealth and wealth. so its actually 3in1. gold is for wealth. and supposedly green aros represents JADE which is supposedly for health n wealth as well, its all how you interpret it i guess, whatever makes u feel good with what u have ;)

Red Tail Golden:
The most affordable of the High Grade Arowanas (if I can call it that way). nope.. dont think u can.. haha. itll confuse many ppl i think

Grade 2 Reds:
Lower Grade Reds, also called Banjar Red, 1.5 Red. There is also Yellow Tails, but I am not sure if they are classified as Grade 2 Reds...
yellow should be gr2 as well

Greens:
Well...They are...green. Some sellers call their Green, Cross Back Greens, but to me, a green is a green. Well, maybe except for the Nami Green who commands a very high price as they are supposed to be very rare. Those Nami Greens are the ones that has a "snake skin pattern" on their cheeks and scales. gold garden has had "nami reds" as well... or just simple snakeskin patterns

GOOD INFO!! THANKS EKEN! AGAIN THOSE R MY VIEW ALSO~

EKen

Super Moderator
Rulaifu:
I am not lazy only when it is something related to my hobby.

NinjaTurtle:
Yes I have seen some Reds labeled "Nami". I feel that it is a commercial stunt. My Chili also have the snake skin patterns on his cheeks. Maybe I should try to sell him as a Nami Chili :D

rulaifu

Rulaifu:
I am not lazy only when it is something related to my hobby.

NinjaTurtle:
Yes I have seen some Reds labeled "Nami". I feel that it is a commercial stunt. My Chili also have the snake skin patterns on his cheeks. Maybe I should try to sell him as a Nami Chili :D

You can not sell that CR. If you really want to sell, sell him back to me. And I will pay you more for your efforts on keeping him so nice.

Last edited:

protoxeno

Eken: I think what you describe on your post is pretty accurate, about the red too. Even in singapore I haven't really seen much posted pictures of reds thats actually red under white light. Hopefully theo when over there can give us a confirmation if whether its just in Canada or singapore if reds kept long enough, 5yr + will be truely red in colour when marketed as really high grade red like th VFSR and such.

ATM I'll just stick with the reds will be "...yellowish, orange, or if you are really lucky (or a very good hobbyist) dark orange."

Alx

So when I go to buy an aro, under what lighting should I look at the fish to see true colors? any tricks of the trade, (I know few with Discus, but not much on aros)

EKen

Super Moderator
Alx:
If you go buy a red, either it be from a "particular" or an LFS, ask to see the fish under no lights (or the room light). Then with white lights like Protoxeno said.

And if you are a newbie like me...When I see any aros, there is something in me that pushes me to buy it and make my judgement not clear. You should go shopping with an experienced hobbyist friend.

I guess now would also be a good time to mention what Defects to look for in an arowana to try avoiding them:
- Drop eyes
- Protruding Lower Jaw (or PLJ)
- Swimming Bladder Problem (SBP)
- Uneven fins
- Barbels that are not straight

Again, other members please feel free to chip in on what to look for...

Alx

Thank-you protoxeno and EKen. Much appreciated. Any reference to the pics - that would provide for me visual comparesment of good and bad(defects)?
Thank-you once again.

EKen

Super Moderator
I remember reading somewhere that the "original" red are the Blood Red. Chili Red came after some cross breeding. Any seniors (I mean real seniors, not 100+ posts seniors) can elaborate?

arl

If Im choosing to buy an aro the first thing I'll look for will be the shape, I like spoon head shape and the good thing with this is that it will be visible already at 6". I mean it will already be noticeable compared to the other aros with it. The next I'll look for is the color, I'll pick the darkest one in there. Third will be the size, I want the biggest.

EKen

Super Moderator
Arl:
We share almost the same criterias of selection order. Mines are as follow:
1) Defects free...I can live with some slight ones such as a little bit drop eye, or slight PLJ but not too much.
2) Bodyshape: I like spoonhead, and chubby aros.
3) Color: the darker the better (for reds or course)
4) Fins: Long pectorals, big tail
5) Swimming posture: the fish has to look confident as if he is owning the tank
6) Final criteria (but not the least): girlfriend's approval

Of course everything has to be somehow balanced. I would not feel comfortable with a pale pale spoonhead...

Some people say: "See the fish, not the cert.", But I like the cert. I like putting it in a nice frame and showing off ;)

Last edited: