low kh in vancouver

travistiale

so tap water ph is 6.6 kh is close to 0 gh is close to 0. what do you all other fish keepers do to keep ph from fluctuating due to very low kh.? do you add buffers to bump up kh values thus increasing ph a little or is reguar water changes enough to keep ph in check? if u do add buffers do u also add buffers during water changes to match the kh and ph of the tank? pretty new so any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

skynoch

Wow you are going to have to do some serious buffering or keep a good flow on a drip system. I would reccomend the drip system as it solves your waterchange problem.
If you have a sump you could add crushed seashells to it and for a sand you could add a marine sand to you tank. These seem to be the favourite of most people with low values.
I haven't had to deal with soft water where I live so it's never been a problem but I have used a r/o system and then chemically buffered the water before for rays but would not do that again as I still found the ph would want to bounce and I didn't want to chemically alter the water while the fish where in it so this meant lots of waterchanges still.

travistiale

so buffering the water chemically isnt advised? where are all the vancouver folks here that keep arowana tanks?? how do you all cope with the low kh and keep it from fluctuating your pH? do you add buffers? if so what kind and how much ... do you do a lot of water changes??? help me out please!!