not eating

CHILLI RED

I heard that aloe vera added to a tank or garlic extract can enhance an arowanas appetite. That S7 stuff is supposed to be good but very pricey to use on a big tank. Has anyone tried these first 2 mentioned things?

EKen

Super Moderator
Bump...As I want to know too. I know that Aloe Vera is used in some water conditionner to calm the fish, don't know if it helps its appetite.

FOSSILFISH

When in doubt, go back to basics. Check your water quality & temp. Check if your heater is on, or still operating normally. Cold water will make arowanas stop eating. Check your water quality, maybe do a 1/3 water change and monitor it.
Try to rememberwhen you fed the Aro last and how much. An Aro can go a long time wihout food. If you have tank mates with the Aro, it may beat up or eat them if they are small enough. That's ok by me, he is the King in my tank. It is survival of the fittest.

My Aro went through the same thing. This is normal. Some times they just loose interest.
Cut down on the feeding for a while. When you feed him try to do it in the same time every other day. I use to worry that if I don't feed my fish every day that he might starve, but it would take weeks even almost a month before that starts to happen.
If he was a good eater before he stopped eating chances are he has some reserves stored away.
Stop feeding him for 5 to 7 days. If he still doen't eat, wait another 2 days. Sooner or later the hunger will take over and he will eat again.
I use to feed my Aro alot at one time, then I would wait 7 to ten days before I feed him again.
Arows are natural hunters and they do not eat every day in the wild. but when they do eat, they will eat all they can at one time. Almost all hunters will do this, so I can't see it being bad to get them back to this type of feeding regime. Vary the menu and all should be well. It may also depend on what your feeding it. Maybe he needs a change in the menu. Live food will always bring back appetite most of the time.
Some times size of the aquarium and having too much competition for food with tank mates in the tank can also cause this.

Good Luck;)

rulaifu

When in doubt, go back to basics. Check your water quality & temp. Check if your heater is on, or still operating normally. Cold water will make arowanas stop eating. Check your water quality, maybe do a 1/3 water change and monitor it.
Try to rememberwhen you fed the Aro last and how much. An Aro can go a long time wihout food. If you have tank mates with the Aro, it may beat up or eat them if they are small enough. That's ok by me, he is the King in my tank. It is survival of the fittest.

My Aro went through the same thing. This is normal. Some times they just loose interest.
Cut down on the feeding for a while. When you feed him try to do it in the same time every other day. I use to worry that if I don't feed my fish every day that he might starve, but it would take weeks even almost a month before that starts to happen.
If he was a good eater before he stopped eating chances are he has some reserves stored away.
Stop feeding him for 5 to 7 days. If he still doen't eat, wait another 2 days. Sooner or later the hunger will take over and he will eat again.
I use to feed my Aro alot at one time, then I would wait 7 to ten days before I feed him again.
Arows are natural hunters and they do not eat every day in the wild. but when they do eat, they will eat all they can at one time. Almost all hunters will do this, so I can't see it being bad to get them back to this type of feeding regime. Vary the menu and all should be well. It may also depend on what your feeding it. Maybe he needs a change in the menu. Live food will always bring back appetite most of the time.
Some times size of the aquarium and having too much competition for food with tank mates in the tank can also cause this.

Good Luck;)
We have an aro. expert showing here. From your post, I can tell you have lots of aro. at home with many years of aro. experience.