Seachem Safe for Dosing System

skynoch

For anyone using dosing systems have you ever tried seachem safe? I'm just wondering if it's premade in a container how long does the safe stay at a useable level to treat a tank? At what concentration should I mix it at for dosing?

mitchb

I remembered looking into it and found this on the safe faq site on seachem:
A: Safe does not have the stabilizers, like Prime, to keep it stable in liquid form. We do not recommend mixing it and storing it for future use.

However, when I looked into it people said that they pre mixed it in a bottle, basically making prime and storing it with no negative side effects.

skynoch

Thanks for the help on this. I tried to follow up further with some research on the web but everything was saying it would disapate shortly making it a bad choice for a dosing system. I guess I need to find out what they put in the prime to make it stable so I can add it to the safe.

mitchb

Another thing you could look at is what the chemical you are trying to get rid of is, and see if there is some other alternative to safe.

I have seen chloromine and chlorine removers in powder form I think so you could always ask the manufacturers if it is stable to premix.

skynoch

It's just chlorine to be removed but I have a 2200 gallon tank with a minimum of 400 gallons changed per day so I want a big barrel of whatever treament made up. Most my tank is automated and feeding is the only thing I really do now but I want to change from sediment and carbon drip to a dosing system to see if it makes a difference in the tank with the different minerals that could enter the water.