Black arowana stopped eating.

tman

Super Moderator
I have a pair of Black arowana's around the 24" mark in a 450 gallon tank. The female has stopped eating for about 3 weeks now and I can't figure out what's wrong. There are no signs of disease but I treated for 5 days with prazi-pro in case it was internal. The parameters of the tank haven't changed and the occupants are 9 stingrays and a male black arowana.The water gets changed every five days and I have also done a few more to see if that would affect her appetite. The diet for the aro was pellets,smelts,shrimp and other frozen types of seafood. I tried feeding dew worms,feeder comets and crickets but the only thing that caught her eye was the crickets but she didn't even touch them. Looked like she wanted too but then just turned away. I know aros can go on a fast for long periods of time for unexplained reasons but this is getting too long for my comfort.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

tman

Super Moderator
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-less then .1mg/l
Nitrates are between 20-50 mg/l.

Doing another water change!

skynoch

I'm waiting out a superred at the moment that is around 5 weeks. Same thing no issues that I can tell but maybe some stress from giant gourami or barbs fighting each other. Will keep waiting as I've heard of longer.

flagtail

My female Silver arowana stop'd eating for 6-7 weeks.....and then lay'd about 170 eggs...

Is your black skinny.....or still look full?

Even though mine stop'd eating.........it kept getting thicker and thicker....

Goodluck

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 824

chen88

Super Moderator
My female Silver arowana stop'd eating for 6-7 weeks.....and then lay'd about 170 eggs...

Is your black skinny.....or still look full?

Even though mine stop'd eating.........it kept getting thicker and thicker....

Goodluck

did anything come out of the eggs?

tman

Super Moderator
Update!

She just started eating 2 days ago. That was over 3 months without food! Sure wish I could do this diet as my grocery bill would be low!