Painted blue arowana?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Well, what is your verdict on the attached photos? Apparently there are 200 of these guys around in S'pore. I checked with Nic of Dreamfish and he says it is a painted/dyed fish for sure. I remember back in the day when Quian Hu was doing DNA research for sexing Aros, and so who knows, maybe there has been full on genetic manipulation of Asian Arowana DNA to create this fish? I personally doubt it though, until I hear of more evidence. Anyone out there know more about this fish?

Attachments

• blue blue Asian arowana.jpg
    blue blue Asian arowana.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,780
Last edited:

exoticaquaria

Well, what is your verdict on the attached photos? Apparently there are 200 of these guys around in S'pore. I checked with Nic of Dreamfish and he says it is a painted/dyed fish for sure. I remember back in the day when Quian Hu was doing DNA research for sexing Aros, and so who knows, maybe there has been full on genetic manipulation of Asian Arowana DNA to create this fish? I personally doubt it though, until I hear of more evidence. Anyone out there know more about this fish?

Haven't seen any of these "dyed" arowanas from my trips to HK, Taiwan and Japan in the past few years. Perhaps something new for the market after GH aros?

brianyam

The market I have noticed is racing to try and make anything new, and trying to brand things as "prestigious". When in reality whats happened the market is flooded with decent arowana for low prices. Now you see these high end fish which are in reality are highly inbred fish...I have noticed more and more genetic mutations/defects in arowana these days....same thing that happened with discus...dogs...