Geophagus winemilleri and large aro?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Thanks to Oliver at belowater.com I now have a group of 6 Geophagus winemilleri cichlids. These fish are wild caught and rarely imported.

The fish are all about 6 inches. Oliver had them with some Leporinus which nipped their fins a bit prior to arrival. I noticed a few flukes, have dosed the 90 gallon tank holding the Geos with Prazipro. I had hoped to keep the group in the 90 gallon tank for a while to condition them for possible breeding and to hopefully add to their size. I am finding the group is increasingly aggressive toward one another, with a definite hierarchy forming. I now plan on keeping the one Alfa fish in the 90 gallon alone to keep as a show fish. I am then going to put the other 5 fish into my 300 gallon with my 20+ inch red aro and 8 inch Flagtail. I am hoping the single piece of driftwood I have in the 300 gallon tank provides enough cover for the Geos to hide if needed. Below is a short update on my aro tank (Nan light).

I will dose the Geos one more time with Prazipro in coming days, then likely put them in the 300 gallon on the weekend. I am nervous about how the aro will take to the group of fish. I plan on adding some jumbo clown loaches to the mix in another few weeks too.

Last edited:

RDFISHGUY

Your arowana is looking good and seems pretty mellow. If my fei feng swam that close to my aros face he'd rip him in half. Its funny though , when the lights go out, the fei feng will chase the aro.
Loaches are great addition to the mix. If your fei feng is, at all, like mine he'll suck the life out of any rays you try to add. Mine only lasted 2 days before my rays looked like they had something wrong with their skin. I moved the fei feng and they were better overnight.
6" geos will be fine in numbers but alone or small groups will be decimated by aros. Although yours seems pretty mellow.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Yes, the red is developing well. Is a very easy going fish for sure. Sometimes the FF actually brushes its tail under the aros chin, in a really slow fashion, seemingly on purpose. The two remind me of a cat and dog I had as a kid.

Not sure about the cert date, have misplaced it.

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Here is an update on my G.winemilleri with my aro; all looks really good, am very happy my aro is so mellow.

First video with only 40 watt flourescent shop bulbs:

One more video with NAN light. Quite a different efffect:

Last edited:

exoticaquaria

they look really nice! peaceful effect with your red arowana. you just need a pair of rays and your setup will be complete!