Fire eel!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
This guy came in at 18 inches a couple months ago. I got him hand trained to eat cut up market prawn and now he eats a lot. He has put on two inches in length since I got him I think.

I had to do some moving around of fish due to some aros coming and so I unceremoniously dumped the eel into my 300 gallon with my pair of BD/Leos and trio of large Geophagus winemilleri. The links below are for videos of feeding the eel in a 90 gallon last week and another I shot right after I dumped the eel in the 300 gallon tank. It turns out that large fire eels and rays get along great! I would highly recommend the combination, very entertaining. I also recommend you give the eel some kind of tube or drift wood hiding spot as they love to stay concealed with just their heads popping out; kind of remind me of morray eels that way.

Feeding video:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5oun6nqjfx7zt49/MPuA-L2LRH/VIDEO0055.mp4

Fire eel released in a 300 gallon with a pair of BD/Leos and a trio of Geos:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/focn1z274tz11d1/2013-02-20 21.02.46.mp4

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Jumped last night from my Marineland 300. I knew fire eels like to try and sneak out the top of tanks but thought I had a secure system. This is the second fish I have had jump from my glass 300. On the other hand I have never had a fish jump out of any of my plexi tanks (which have a way better rim/lid design). Now I regret having moved the eel out of the 90 gallon plexi, especially since it was supposed to ship out tomorrow. Sorry Mark.

exoticaquaria

Jumped last night from my Marineland 300. I knew fire eels like to try and sneak out the top of tanks but thought I had a secure system. This is the second fish I have had jump from my glass 300. On the other hand I have never had a fish jump out of any of my plexi tanks (which have a way better rim/lid design). Now I regret having moved the eel out of the 90 gallon plexi, especially since it was supposed to ship out tomorrow. Sorry Mark.

Not again!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Yeah, again. Actually this is the third fish I have lost (one ray, one aro, and now one eel). I am now going to roll up my sleeves and do something I should have done a while ago - I am going to build out a new canopy system. I will take some photos and share the design.

exoticaquaria

awesome. much needed huh! lol.

i find acrylic tanks to be very secured. ive had a few fire eels jump out of the tank! luckily they weren't dead when i found them on my floor lol

slednex11

its all ok theo, i feel bad for your loss,i still have a fire eel he just doesnt eat much and is growing slow ,thought maybe yours would grow faster than my current one