Filter Maint.

CHILLI RED

How often do you clean your filters? Some say once a week clean your filter and some say wait until the flow is reduced. Is weekly or bi-weekly rinsing of the filter media a good idea? Does a light rinsing kill good bacteria? I want to know before I get an aro so that I dont make any mistakes.

frozen-fire

what kind of filter are you talking about? I usually rinse my Rena canisters out about once a month. Keep in mind that you are NOT rinsing in tap water, but aquarium water. This way, you will not kill off beneficial bacteria.

Since I have two filters, I alternate. Every couple of weeks I do one, then the other, etc.

lo sai

i have 2 canisters aswell, i alternate rinsing every couple of monthes without water problems but thats because i have only 2 fish....

EKen

Super Moderator
I only change the pads when I see that the flow really diminushed. But then again, I am a lazy guy...

CHILLI RED

How often would you guys change media in an eheim filter? I think Big Als manager told me to change it once every 6 months but mix in a little bit of the old with the new to help with the bacteria growth.

EKen

Super Moderator
I was told that the substrat lasts for a really long time. I would simply take them out and wash them. Then maybe change it after 2 years of use. Substrat alone costs a lot, I think 6 months of use is a bit too short for a replacement already. I guess it also depends on your bioload.

jackson

I change all of my filters at the same time. I first clean the filters by using the tanks water to rinse off the bio media. I throw out the floss or pads and then start them up. I then do a 15% water change after about 2 hrs. On every tank I have there are more than 2 filters. I use at least one for mechanical filtration and at least 2 for bio filtration.

Asfor the bio media you should never have to change it as long as the pellets or rings are still in good shape. If you want to save money on that stuff buy lava rock smash it up with a hammer and BAM you have the same stuff for more that 300% cheaper.