Black arowana

Diablored

So I have the chance to buy some tiny black aros. I know they grow fast, how long till they would need greater than a 6 by 2 ? Do asian aros hate SA aros as much as they do Asians in a one on one situation? What I am trying to say is can I grow out this black and have any hope of it getting along with my RTG?

Ansieh

My inlaws had 1 rtg and 2 silver in one tank before... I noticed one of the silver is missing whisker and apprantly the asian aro does fight with silver aro... I never saw them fight when i was there.., i think it happened when they were younger. My advice is no mix.

Ansieh

Another way to maybe make it is to have odd number. In my inlaws case they have 2 silver and one rtg to balance out the fighting.

tman

Super Moderator
I currently have a 30" male black arowana with a 14" RTG and the RTG has a few tattered fins but they are doing okay together.

What size of tank would you be starting them out in?

Diablored

The aro is in a 125 with some clown loaches and a small flag tail now. The black aro is a tiny guy, just absorbed yolk sack. I would put it in a 75 gallon with my striped silver dollar grow outs to catch up to the RTG. I know I would need a 24 inch wide tank to meet my rtg's long term needs and that's no problem. But is a black aro really happy in a 24 inch wide tank?

Last edited:

tman

Super Moderator
How big are the silver dollars? They could be a little too flashy and fast and that might stress out the black aro.Black aros are fragile when young. I raised a little black aro same size of yours alone in a 20 gallon for 3 months and then he progressed into bigger tanks but I lost him at around the 24" mark do to a filter mishap.

Black arowanas can turn corners better then Asians but I am not sure if a 24" wide would be good for life as I couldn't see my 30" black in a 24" wide.

Diablored

Yeah I would love to grow one out to the 12 inch mark or so. I am just worried about finding it the right home when it gets that big.