Need help asap!!

joshhoward

Need help asap! !
Having trouble identifying fish disease. Kinda worried it might be fish tb.
Symptoms started with.. big white fuzzy zit/worm near head (fish died). Open body sores (fish(s) got better)
New symptoms. Slight scale damage, eye cloud, scratching, fading colors, hanging out at water surface, abnormal swimming, getting skinny. Multiple fish deaths.
Please help!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
More information needed. What kind of fish? Captive bred or wild caught? What size tank, how many fish and their sizes, how often are water changes done, what Ph and temp?

joshhoward

More information needed. What kind of fish? Captive bred or wild caught? What size tank, how many fish and their sizes, how often are water changes done, what Ph and temp?

cichlids, cats, loaches, plecos, silver dollars.
all cb except for 4 severums but they have been in captivity for years.
150 gallons, fx5 filter
sizes range from 1"- 6".
with the deaths im down to about 10 fish.
water changes done weekly/bi-weekly
ph unknown right now
temp 76.

going to do a water change tonight and treat with binox.
(have quarantined a couple of the healthiest looking smaller fish)

mitchb

When was the last time you did a water change,and when did you last clean the filter?

I had something like this and it was because I had a tank going for a long time and the ph just started to drop out. I would check ph right away as if the issue is affecting all fish it has to be something in the water.

If the ph is low, or you don't have a test and are going to buy one. Pick up some crushed oyster shells or crushed coral and then you can add it in to bring it up.

tman

Super Moderator
Up your temperature to 80 degrees will help and do some extra water changes and make sure you are keeping your filters clean. Depending on how big the fish are and how many died you may have overstocked your tank as 150 gallon really isn't very big once packing it with dirty fish like cichlids and catfish.

joshhoward

thanks for everyone's input. i did a 25% water change and treated with binox and melafix yesterday. will keep you updated

Dis

I would do a much larger water change, 75 to 90%. Extra water changes will give you more time to figure out what the problem is. Goodluck

joshhoward

no deaths today.. added the melafix(daily) just waiting til thursday (as per instructions) to do another 25% change and retreat with binox again.
anyone have experience with binox?

joshhoward

did another water change and treatment again.
havent lost anymore fish.. my clowns all looks better except one who keeps with the scratching. all silver dollars have healed up, no more cloud eye on them all eating. my severums i have left (4)..one is fine the other three are not eating and stay in the wood piles head straight up tail down ( i read they do this when super stressed?) syno cats and pleco doing fine.
i think i'll wait another 3 days and see if i should do one more treatment.. then maybe start doing small water changes daily..

joshhoward

little update..
ive narrowed it down.. i believe what happened to my tank is called Chilodonella. i lost quite a few fish, well almost all of them. currently treating for the parasite