Hoplias Aimara close up

Wolfman

My Hoplias Aimara Tapajos Red

IMG_2021edit.JPG

Arodynamic

Hoplias

I was in Guyana Sth America this time last year and had the opportunity to land a few MALAs using a cast net in shallow dirt pools. The locals cleaned and cooked them, they are a terribly bony fish and are called "Huri", They also mentioned the Aimara by name which can be found upstream, I am the middle one in the second pic.

Attachments

• Hoplias.jpg
    Hoplias.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,323
  • IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 868
  • IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3904.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,551

Wolfman

I was in Guyana Sth America this time last year and had the opportunity to land a few MALAs using a cast net in shallow dirt pools. The locals cleaned and cooked them, they are a terribly bony fish and are called "Huri", They also mentioned the Aimara by name which can be found upstream, I am the middle one in the second pic.

Did you eat it? Taste nice??
Or taste like chicken?

I guess catching Aimara is a different ball game...

Arodynamic

Did you eat it? Taste nice??
Or taste like chicken?

I guess catching Aimara is a different ball game...
I did try it( and to think one of these fish cost about $100 in the UK!!) but the Hoppy is terribly bony, they survive for quite some time out of water and needless to say needs to be handled very cautiously even when they appear to be quite still, we caught quite a few smaller ones as well and they also put up a good fight. I have been told that they can crawl from one pond to another across dry land! South America is a great unspoilt place to visit to see fish like the aros, arapaimas, piranhas and wolves in their natural environment.

Attachments

• IMG_3885.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 909
  • hoplias2.jpg
    hoplias2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 912
  • IMG_4741.jpg
    IMG_4741.jpg