What is considered the highest grade of Asian Arowana?

Yuppa

Super Moderator
AAA grade is typically full crossover, well developed pearls
AA is full or close to full crossover, most pearls showing
A is partial crossover, at least half the pearls showing

those grades are usually for trying to tell which young aro's have better potential.

or do you mean grade as in whats better, red or xback?

Ok now some more questions:D

1. What do you mean by crossover and pearls?

2. Are xbacks the best?

3. I was thinking of whats best in terms of color, like whats better a red or platnum

Yuppa

Super Moderator
xback or red.. really depends on preference..
I can't say one is better then the other.

platinum is just a color varient of xback, generally it is more sought after.

crossover = 6th row of scales, the top of the fish.. If the rims of the scale on that row have color/shine then its considered crossed over.. thats why xbacks are called xbacks, the gold crosses over the back.. same with reds, rtg's however, the gold stops at the 5th row of scales

ninjaturtle

if you get to the roots of all asian aros, thers basically 4 variations

1. golden crossback
2. super red
3. red tail golden
4. green

also there are 5 other species of arowanas

1. Jardini/pearl
2. Lechardti
3. Black
4. Silver
5. African

ninjaturtle

where do blues fit into this?

the only blue is a core color form of arowans

so you could have a blue base crossback or blue base super red which means the core colors of the scale is blue but the rims of the scale is gold/red depending on what aro u have

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Blue base Xbacks or Marble Blues as they are also called, originally came from Lake Bukit Merah in peninsular Malaya. I hope to visit there soon. I know there are some Aro breeders around the Lake, so maybe I can get some good photos.

theweb88

Blue base Xbacks or Marble Blues as they are also called, originally came from Lake Bukit Merah in peninsular Malaya. I hope to visit there soon. I know there are some Aro breeders around the Lake, so maybe I can get some good photos.
Malaysian Gold (MG), as the name implies originates from Peninsular Malaysia. MG usually implies a pure breed Golden aro. XBs on the other hand have been a marketing term used in implying that a its generally a Golden aro which will cross over the 6th level with almost or full pearls development in adulthood. However XBs need not necessarily implies a pure breed MG. A good example is the TongYan where a Golden aro is x bred with SR with classification as a XB.

X breeding in aros could happen in various stages of breeding and in choosing a purebred MG is becoming much more challenging today. Most experience hobbyist would look for purebred MG via various unique traits such as head formation, scales, colour intensity, tail and finnages, eyes, pectorals, barbels etc etc. :)

menghun

Malaysian Gold (MG), as the name implies originates from Peninsular Malaysia. MG usually implies a pure breed Golden aro. XBs on the other hand have been a marketing term used in implying that a its generally a Golden aro which will cross over the 6th level with almost or full pearls development in adulthood. However XBs need not necessarily implies a pure breed MG. A good example is the TongYan where a Golden aro is x bred with SR with classification as a XB.

X breeding in aros could happen in various stages of breeding and in choosing a purebred MG is becoming much more challenging today. Most experience hobbyist would look for purebred MG via various unique traits such as head formation, scales, colour intensity, tail and finnages, eyes, pectorals, barbels etc etc. :)

well explained bro.....MG might not be a XB.....XB just indicate that the shine can cross over the 6th level....

menghun

Would that mean MG dont' cross over since xback means it crosses and MG not being xback means no cross?

what i mean is some MG MIGHT not cross..so that means not every MG is considered as XB...this is what some ppl confused about..XB is just a description of a arowana that its shine can cross until 6th level...

theweb88

Would that mean MG dont' cross over since xback means it crosses and MG not being xback means no cross?
I would say that in general, MG will cross in adulthood though some may not. Having said that, does all XB crosses? I've seen some that doesn't too. :)

theweb88

what i mean is some MG MIGHT not cross..so that means not every MG is considered as XB...this is what some ppl confused about..XB is just a description of a arowana that its shine can cross until 6th level...
You're rite. I would usually prefer color intensity and pearlies compared to just judging it from crossing point of view. Unfortunately many xbs today lack the color intensity.:)

joshhoward

ok so im reading along here learning tons (thankx guys)..
at one of the lfs i saw blue arowana, the blue the fins and whatnot, i wa sa lil skeptical because ive never heard of them, so they are actually black arowana?