Insignis or Taeniurus ?

impalass

My last Flagtail Prochilodus (insignis) became much too hyper at about 15" and started spooking my RTG. The nervous beast (he was THICK) went to a bigger home in June 2009.Since then I've been looking for the smaller variety, "Taeniurus" which supposedly max out at 12"

Since I'm no expert this was no easy feat, but I think I got lucky with this 6" speciment. Compared to the other similar sized flag tails in the lfs this one was more gray than silver, still had his spots and the tail had thicker black bars with the orangey bars being less colourful, and more narrow. Lastly the dorsal fin on this guy shows no hint of colour as compared to a hint of orange/red on the others.

By the way my 15" Flag Tail was a much bigger challenge to catch and transport than my first Asian Arowana, a 20" Yellow Tail.

Attachments

• SDC10321.jpg
    SDC10321.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,208
  • SDC10322.jpg
    SDC10322.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,203
Last edited:

King-eL

I believe Taeniurus is the one that grows much larger and with shorter dorsal fin while igninsis max 12" and with taller dorsal fin.

impalass

I believe Taeniurus is the one that grows much larger and with shorter dorsal fin while igninsis max 12" and with taller dorsal fin.

I'm no expert, just going by what a google search led to, a site named "Seriously Fish" which has the Insignis as the larger of the two.