Low Water Level

joshhoward

wasnt sure where to post this...

so i know a lot of ppl keep their aro tanks lower (water level)
and recently ive been mulling over the idea of lowering mine a bit and adding either a mata mata or snake neck turtle in with my fish.

my ? here is how do you keep the glass clean that doesnt have water against it. ive found that if you let the water go down a bit there is a film on the glass...
any info or ideas?

chen88

Super Moderator
I guess it all depends on what fish you will be housing with your turtle and potentially the size the turtle will grow out at. Turtles love fish for food! :)

hustler

FYI bro..... Mata Mata at 8 inch shell can take down and kill an 8 inch koi.....
I know I have raised them ;)
Also new guinea sideknecks.... snakeknecks ect.... Vicious turtles bro.... Like a snapping turtle with live fish.... I dont suggest
Even the softshells scare me seeing them cut goldfish in half.... To put with an aro you would have to Not like your aro at all....

joshhoward

i dont actually have an aro at the moment.
right now im housing a red tail, shovelnose, marble goby and large mouth bass...
all of which are at least 15"

hustler

That changes nothing.....
All of the turtles you mentioned will gladly kill them in a night.....

joshhoward

That changes nothing.....
All of the turtles you mentioned will gladly kill them in a night.....

what about with size..i mean if i went small i figured they couldnt do too much damage... buut then id take the chance of my cats eating it.
for example i know theres a 3.5" snakeneck which is available in my town..but i think that may be a little tempting for the red tail

carcrazy

I have a 5" (across) Chinese soft shell turtle with a 12" green aro and 10" tiger oscar, I have encountered no problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.

hustler

Its a risky game bro's
Big cats will eat filter tubes if they can knock them off lol so there is always that chance too.
And the asian softshell.... You are lucky so far bro, I had one with a 10" shell that killed 8-10" koi. Just cut them up with its crazy bites and finish them.
If it is nice then you are super lucky.... but that may not last forever is all Im trying to say.