How to ship Asian arowana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenta

Administrator
For a lot of people, buying/selling a fish is a simple process. Its usually a matter of going to your LFS, having an employee net and bag your fish and then returning home a short distance acclimating to your tank within an hour.

For the average aquarist, shipping a fish across the country can be a nerve racking thought.... on top of that Asian arowana are not the cheapest fish. The last thing you want is a DOA. The main reason people refuse to ship is simple... people just don't know how to. Once you know what to do, shipping fish is actually quite simple.

I have shipped numerous Asian arowana across Canada ranging from 6" to 15". All have arrived safe and sound in their new homes.
Hopefully this thread will make you feel more comfortable shipping fish!

Materials needed.

1) Styrofoam box with snug fitting cardboard box.
2) Packing peanuts (to fill empty space)
3) Plastic bags (to bag fish)
4) Elastic bands
5) Duct tape
6) Heat packs (weather dependant)
7) cardboard and garbage bag
8) Sedative/water conditioner (ie. Jungle bag buddies)

Where to get all these materials?
Collecting all materials is quite simple. Your LFS is a great source for styrofoam boxes and snug fitting cardboard boxes. I get the boxes with outside dimensions 24" X 15" X 15" or somewhere close to that (this is for both large and small fish). I also get plastic bags from the LFS. The packing peanuts can be bought online (craigslist often has people offering them for free) or you can go to a UPS store and pay a few bucks for a large bag. Elastic bands can be bought anywhere... avoid using old/used ones as they are easier broken, i always use brand new. Duct tape can be bought at any hardware store. Heat packs can be bought online as well or you can buy them at outdoor oriented stores. Buy as long lasting as you can. Cardboard can be scrounged almost anywhere and you should have plenty of garbage bags at home.

Step One - Book the flight
I always fly Westjet, mainly because they have frequent flights to all major airports and all have heated cargo. The number to Westjet shipping is 1-866-952-2746. They will ask you to where and from where and list available flight times. You will need the receivers name, address, postal code and phone number. You will also be asked to provide your own information too. You can pay via credit card or upon drop off. You must be at the cargo at least 2 hours before the flight. You will receive an airwaybill number which the receiver will need in order to pick up. Remember to book a direct flight to minimize waiting, time and risk. Also remember to ask them where to drop off and pickup. If you get a postal code you can googlemaps it and it will show you the exact location.

Step Two - Getting the fish in the bag
Rinse out Plastic bags. They MUST be double bagged or the airline won't accept your package. For a small fish i usually fill 3 liters tank water/3 liters new tap water (make sure temp is close to tank). Of course your bag sizes will vary, the guideline is 2/3 water 1/3 air, so fill as much as you need. Put the plastic bags with water in them in a 5g bucket. I usually ship smaller fish (~6") so i use my hands to gently and slowly scoop the fish out and then into the bag. Be gentle and slow in movement, you do not want to scare the fish. Once the fish is in the bag drop in the appropriate number of Bag Buddies. Immediately twist the top of the bag to achieve the 1/3 air. Once the bag is 2/3 water 1/3 air and the top is twisted, fold the twist and use 8 elastic bands to wrap around the fold.
Voila, you now have a fish in a bag.

Step Three - Packing the box
Once the fish is in the bag you can fill the styrofoam box halfway with the packing peanuts. Place the bag upright in the center of the box and fill the remaining space with the rest of the peanuts.

Step Four - prepping the certificate
Now as all Asian arowana keepers know, we are very proud of our fish's certificate. I personally have my own in a nice frame above the tank... my friends make fun of me because i framed and hanged my fish's certificate but not my university degree. Anyways, take the garbage bag and wrap the certificate in it, duct tape the edges to make it water tight. Once the certificate is in its cover, take two pieces of cardboard and sandwich it. This is to prevent it from bending or getting wrinkled. Once this is done you can place it in the box.

Step Five - adding heat packs
I take a couple pages from the newspaper and tape it to the bottom of the lid to create a "pouch". When you drop off your package at Westjet or whichever airline you use they will ask to inspect it so do not seal the box shut until the very lst minute. I shake and add the heat packs literally 30 seconds before i hand the package to the carrier. Tape it shut once you add the heat packs to its newspaper "pouch".

Some things to remember. Do not seal the box until it has been inspected at the drop off location, so you must bring duct tape. On the box always write the receivers and senders shipping information as well as the airwaybill number. This is in case the flight information is accidentally ripped off the box. If the box does not have "live fish", "handle with care" or "this way up" printed on it you can do it yourself.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.