Added a Channa bleheri to the mix

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I picked up this little guy a few weeks ago and put him into the community. I've always wanted an rainbow snakehead and they are incredibly difficult to get around here. And when you do see them, they are usually about $100 for 2".

Anyways, the arowana doesn't seem to mind him to much and gives him the odd nip to let him know that the top of the tank is off limits.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I lost my camera so the best I can do is find a good picture of one for you

Its one of the more colorful of the snakeheads and is also a dwarf which is nice. They top out at 8". I'm just holding him in the tank for now. I have another 6 on order and plan to breed them in a 70gallon.

cBleheriChannaGrooveCafe04.jpg

picture from www.snakeheards.org

Last edited:

Kenta

Administrator
Awesome, last time i saw channa bleheri here was a couple years ago :(
I knew i should have bought them! They were only $40 for 5" ones!

Awesome addition, hopefully your aro will accept it as tankmates rather than a play toy

jackson

I dont know how the Aro does not eat him? They dont get that big and I find they are the ones that eat the fish of other fish. Here they go for $50 4-5'' I had a bunch got rid of some and kept 2.

Max Power

Great looking fish, it will look great with your aro.

Ninjaturtle, I'm not 100% sure but I think snakeheads are illigal in Ontario... something about them taking over and devistating lakes.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
where to get them in the GTA?
these things look sweet

I can try to source them in January. If there is enough interest maybe we can set up a group buy? I know I would like to try one out. Its been on my to-do list for a couple years.

ninjaturtle

haha yup they are illegal pretty much everywhere near the great lakes. its invested the great lakes and so had the carps lol. asians r overpopulating this world.. LOL

but maybe ur species wont since its only 8" or so..

the illegal ones are the big ones which have been reported to go on land, eat animals n pets, n go back into the water =S

jackson

All fish from the family Channa are illegal in Ontario. You just have to know where to get them. I dont think they will make good tank mates with Aro's they dont grow fast ( the bleheri ) they are fin nippers and I really think the Aro will end up eating it. They really max out at 6'' or not much bigger.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
What you say would seem to make sense Jackson. Maybe need to do a species specific tank for the Bleheris...

homebrewed

Super Moderator
He will definatly be in a species tank down the road. right now there isn't much of a worry. He is very scared of the arowana so I'm not worried about fin nips

Dragonguy

Chana bleheri are actually not a very aggressive type of snakehead. This fish are easy to breed. They only max out 8" but most like 4"-5" in aquarium.

JMorash

Hey,

There are a lot of Dwarf snake head species coming onto the market, last year two more were found in Myanmar (Pulchra and Ornatipinnis) both gorgeous species, but they come from sub tropical climate in fast moving water so wouldn't make a good tank mate for an Arowana. I wouldn't suggest Bleheri as a tank mate either, they stay far too small, but as for growing slow and only maxing out at 8 inches I would have to disagree, if fed a wide range of food and given a large tank with a lot of circulation they grow like weeds. Also some of my larger Bleheri are pushing 10", and very very chunky. They are very quiet, but come from slightly cooler water than asian arowana and require a lot of vegetation to be happy.

In order to breed Channa the best tips I can give is be aware of the species. Species range from needed a higher ph, cool water, and strong current to be happy. Although other species like it a bit warmer with a neutral to lower ph. But for Bleheri, slight current, sandy bottom, with drift wood and rock work, and lots and lots of tall bushy plants. Feed a lot, cool to about 22 degrees celsius for about 4 months, feeding does not have to stop but slow down, make sure the water stay very clean and water levels stay high during this period. Nearing the end of the 4th month begin raising the water temperature, over a 6-8 week period, once at 30 degrees celsius, allow water level to go down and water to get a little scummy. It will usually trigger breeding. It's no science, just the way I went at it and it worked. I have a good ratio of 4 females and two males.

Better species to mix with arowana would be aurantimaculata or pluerophthalma, they both get about 16", and even though they are a tad more aggressive than bleheri, if the right one is found they would probably work out great.

Good Luck,

Justin Morash

MananaP

hmpd wouldn't the water get cold for those fish though lols. i would agree if it was in florida or something lols.