training tips for birchirs

aaronc

i got some new Polypterus lapradei sp. new guinea and i guess they were on a diet of feeders and now they won't even touch mp, pellets and frozen fish. should i starve them for a bit? its only been 3 days so far.

as well with the new introduction my aro won't touch even mp or sw so is that normal or should i just let it starve a bit?

King-eL

Best to turn the lights off to complete darkness as it's new to environment and still settling in. Guinea lap are wild caught so it may take weeks for them to get use to the tank. Also laps are not really aggressive eater. You can add more bichirs to help it to come out more as they like to compete with other bichirs for food. Also when you get a new wild caught nocturnal fish, dont get too excited on watching it eat infront of you especially with lightz on. Common mistake of hobbyist.

Or you can sell that one to me

Last edited:

aaronc

haha king el, took me long enough to find big ones! no sale lol. but i got some feeders and i just finished quarantining them. is it best to feed my laps at night in pitch darkness or with a bit of light?

King-eL

haha king el, took me long enough to find big ones! no sale lol. but i got some feeders and i just finished quarantining them. is it best to feed my laps at night in pitch darkness or with a bit of light?

Once it settle down then even the brightest light and it will eat infront of you. However for now just complete darkness. Wait for a few weeks. Or you can dim the lights and wait for few hours then drop the food and step back a lilttle if you wanna watch it eat.

Last edited:

aaronc

thanks king el, i finally got them to eat a couple of feeders at night, whats the best way you got yours to prepared foods and off feeders?

King-eL

There's really nothing special just let them settle in more and it will eat anything you drop. Or you can starve it for a week and drop whatever food you want to feed it.