Water Quality

Joey

First of all, I was always under the impression anaerobic bacteria only broke down nitrates and converted them to nitrogen?

You are correct. You ended up finding that it does oxydize ammonia as well.

I still don't see the point in cultivating a bacteria that is not as efficient as the other.

Very good point. Anaerobic bacteria, complete the nitrogen cycle threw denitrification.

So while it is not as effective as aerobic at oxydizing ammonia, aerobic bacteria does not complete the cycle = Nitrate into nitrogen gas.

Anaerobic bacteria can oxydize ammonia, can convert nitrate into gas, and do not require oxygen to survive.(leaving more oxygen to your fish, and other bacteria)

So my question would be the opposite... why NOT have both? If your sump can handle it, and you have the room.. the extra media will have alot of aerobic bacteria on it as well..
I also like the reasurance of the extra media..

Second of all, increasing the oxygen level in the water in the tank is very good for the aerobic bacteria in the canister filters. If you increase the oxygen in the water, how can it not help the aerobic bacteria increase their efficiency?

As mentioned, an air stone will not add oxygen directly to the water. The bubbles rise too fast to dissovle into the water. Really, all they do is allow for gas exchange at the surface. The output of the canister will do the same thing. It doesnt have to be a tidel wave at the surface for this to happen. The ripples in the water increase the total surface area. The bubbles do nothing maore than burst at the surface allowing that to happen. You can only get so much oxygen from the surface though. Water falling threw the air, or splashing around, will add far more 02 to the water. (another reason to have a wet/dry, and the main reason it is so effective)

So in the end, the canister will only get so much O2 in it from the waters surface. and air stone wont make a difference in the canister... Unless there was no surface movement at all.

Arrow

Since you will be upgrading your set up soon I would just increase water changes as was suggested to keep ammo and nitrate levels down.

Since nitrates can also be removed through waterchanges, as long as they're kept under 10ppm is this ok? I do a single 40% waterchange weekly and my nitrates have always been at 5-10ppm even when the tank was more heavily stocked with other fish.

Ammo and nitrites are always 0 and I'm running an Fx5 and 2 eheim 2217's with 5-6times turnover rate, should I add another filter?

Last edited:

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
First of all, I was always under the impression anaerobic bacteria only broke down nitrates and converted them to nitrogen?

You are correct. You ended up finding that it does oxydize ammonia as well.

I still don't see the point in cultivating a bacteria that is not as efficient as the other.

Very good point. Anaerobic bacteria, complete the nitrogen cycle threw denitrification.

So while it is not as effective as aerobic at oxydizing ammonia, aerobic bacteria does not complete the cycle = Nitrate into nitrogen gas.

Anaerobic bacteria can oxydize ammonia, can convert nitrate into gas, and do not require oxygen to survive.(leaving more oxygen to your fish, and other bacteria)

So my question would be the opposite... why NOT have both? If your sump can handle it, and you have the room.. the extra media will have alot of aerobic bacteria on it as well..
I also like the reasurance of the extra media..

Second of all, increasing the oxygen level in the water in the tank is very good for the aerobic bacteria in the canister filters. If you increase the oxygen in the water, how can it not help the aerobic bacteria increase their efficiency?

As mentioned, an air stone will not add oxygen directly to the water. The bubbles rise too fast to dissovle into the water. Really, all they do is allow for gas exchange at the surface. The output of the canister will do the same thing. It doesnt have to be a tidel wave at the surface for this to happen. The ripples in the water increase the total surface area. The bubbles do nothing maore than burst at the surface allowing that to happen. You can only get so much oxygen from the surface though. Water falling threw the air, or splashing around, will add far more 02 to the water. (another reason to have a wet/dry, and the main reason it is so effective)

So in the end, the canister will only get so much O2 in it from the waters surface. and air stone wont make a difference in the canister... Unless there was no surface movement at all.

Fair enough. Good logic. :)

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
Just to let you know i now do 30% twice a week and im at amonia 0 Nitrite 0 and nitrate 5 to 10 thanks for the advice i can now safely wait for my new tank
Thank you
Happy new years to all

Joey

Thats great news! Well done. Those readings are what they should be.

Is the 5-10 nitrate reading befor or after a water change?

Is the water change regime the only thing you changed?(besides lowering stocking levels)

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
the nitrate readings are 5 10 after the water changes .
and i moved my 2 small bbxb in a 150g and i added in all tanks 2 sponge filter .

Joey

Good job....

What was the reading of nitrate befor the water change?

Curious to know how fast it climbs.....