Green water.

Hi all,

Haven't posted in a while. Just wondering if you guys could help me out about treating green water that I have been having in my tank. What are the cause and the solution for this?

thx
Danny

jackson

Do a nice big water change. keep your lights off and add a UV sterilizer. The reason your tank is green is because you are in the middle of an algae bloom.

carcrazy

I had this problem too. I did massive water changes (30% every day or two) for 2 weeks with the tank completely covered except to feed the 2 rays and jardini 3 times a day. The water got less green/cloudy but it never totally cleared up. I bought a UV sterilizer and treated the tank for one day, uncovered and voila! Perfectly clear water. I think that a UV sterilizer is the best way to go to get rid of the algae bloom.

I haven't used the sterilizer since and the water is still clear. But if it ever comes back, I am prepared.

menghun

I had this problem too. I did massive water changes (30% every day or two) for 2 weeks with the tank completely covered except to feed the 2 rays and jardini 3 times a day. The water got less green/cloudy but it never totally cleared up. I bought a UV sterilizer and treated the tank for one day, uncovered and voila! Perfectly clear water. I think that a UV sterilizer is the best way to go to get rid of the algae bloom.

I haven't used the sterilizer since and the water is still clear. But if it ever comes back, I am prepared.

ya..agree with u....UV sterilizer is the best solution..:)

I have a Aquastep UV sterilizer running right now for about 1 month now and it is a lot clearer but when I look from one end of the tank to another, the water still has that greenish look. I just change half of the water today and will change water again in the next few days. Furthermore, I will try turning off the light for a while to see if that will help.

Thank you for the suggestions guys!:)

in this case i think your tank is too close to a window or too much sunlight is shining on your tank.

I have place my tank in the basement where there is no window in the room. I guess it is something else that is having an affect on the algae growth.

A little update, I have done what u guys have suggested and it's working well but there is still a little bit of green color in the water. Hopefully, in a few days time, the green water will be gone!:D