Flagtail question

jackson

My buddy has a huge 15''+ flagtail. It has red fins and tail. Very shinny body as well. What type could this be? Also what type is the most saught after?

I read the thread where Yuppa explains the different types but we are stumped.

please help.

I will try and get a few pix as well

jm.

Well here in vancouver a 6'' ff would go for anywhere between 40-80$. I think it would be worth quite a bit seeing how big he is.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
Semaprochilodus taeniurus in my opinion.. the only phoenix species that grows past 12" that I have seen or heard.. -no stripes in top fin, clear body, large size = taeniurus.

frankly, all phoenix are nice, and the differences, apart from size, are subtle.. some have spots on the body, some have stripes in the top fin.. but all the other species max out at 8-10".. insignius are considered more pretty, however they will be food for a large aro.

I have found the larger ones to be very sensitive to moving, and they will bond with the owner, so sell at your own risk..

Last edited:

jackson

Semaprochilodus taeniurus in my opinion.. the only phoenix species that grows past 12" that I have seen or heard.. -no stripes in top fin, clear body, large size = taeniurus.

frankly, all phoenix are nice, and the differences, apart from size, are subtle.. some have spots on the body, some have stripes in the top fin.. but all the other species max out at 8-10".. insignius are considered more pretty, however they will be food for a large aro.

I have found the larger ones to be very sensitive to moving, and they will bond with the owner, so sell at your own risk..

Thank you Yuppa I will let him know.