Some question reagarding phosphate

Some question regarding phosphate

Hello fellow arow keepers,

I have problem in my tank and I have tried different ways to reduce the phosphate in the tank but it does not seem to help so I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what contributes to the increase of phosphate and what ways are there to reduce the phosphate.

Thanks
Danny

lamsimon

im not to sure about that i check there website on there TYPICAL CHEMICAL ANALYSIS and PROPERTIES chart they didn't say anything about phosphate
did u check ur tap water? and what kind and brand of filter media ur using?

h.l_nathan

if i was you i would get rid of the silica sand. I had one aro passed away from that.
try to go down to big als and buy some RO water to do water change see if that helps

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
If you are totally set on keeping the sand, be sure to frequently vacuum it a lot with a syphon.

Another trick I have done in the past is to add water sprite (floating hygrophalia sp.?) to the surface. I find it absorbs a lot of excess nutrients and then grows fast. Throw out a portion of the plant on a weekly basis. Of course you need to have decent plant lighting available to make this work.

Sorry for the late reply. I tested the water source and it was ok. I am using rena canister with the black foam, biomax from fluvel, and phosphate guard right now.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will try them see how it goes.

P.S.- The reason I am concerned about the phosphate is because I still have green water in the tank and I've heard that there is a correlation between algae and phosphate.

Last edited: