How often do u feed your aro?

I just recently purchase a Panda gold. Just wondering what u guys recommend when feeding a young aro. Twice a day, three times a day?

And as they grow older does that change as well?

Thank in advance for your feedback.

Sygoomei

Welcome to our boards!

From my knowledge, feeding twice per day is fine when they're still quite young; however, when it grows to a more mature size, then it lessens to once per day and even less, possibly every second or 3rd day sometimes.

Currently my youngster eats 2-3 times per day until he's not longer darting for the food--usually 7-12 meal worm.

I hope this info helps you on your quest and I look forward to future posts!

protoxeno

Yes I got a PG this october and eating well, I feed twice a day. Make sure you don't over feed it though else it might fast.

Welcome to our boards!

From my knowledge, feeding twice per day is fine when they're still quite young; however, when it grows to a more mature size, then it lessens to once per day and even less, possibly every second or 3rd day sometimes.

Currently my youngster eats 2-3 times per day until he's not longer darting for the food--usually 7-12 meal worm.

I hope this info helps you on your quest and I look forward to future posts!

Thanks very much for the reply. Are you feeding them super worms?

protoxeno

No I mean if you over feed, some times the aro will refuse to eat until they get really hungry again. Fasting period and usually even if you don't over feed, it is normal to see the aro go into a fasting period, still a mystery as to why aro do fast especially red aros.

Fasting period means not to eat for a period, you know how religious people fast for various reasons, that kind of fast.

No I mean if you over feed, some times the aro will refuse to eat until they get really hungry again. Fasting period and usually even if you don't over feed, it is normal to see the aro go into a fasting period, still a mystery as to why aro do fast especially red aros.

Fasting period means not to eat for a period, you know how religious people fast for various reasons, that kind of fast.

Oh..I see. I understand now. :) Thank you, learn something new every day. :D

Speaking of fasting period. I think he is going through it right now. Tried to feed him a kinds of food and didn't eat them except for some of the crickets that I bought. Checked water quality and everything seems to be in order.

Last edited:

protoxeno

Yes, if you make it into smaller meals the aro would be always in hunger mode and always dash for the food whenever you feed, and it looks cool too. Always nice to have the aro in a hunger mode so it swims more frequently and have its instinct to hunt for food by looking upwards and prevent some DE. Intuitively that would make sense.

Dragonguy

My aros will eat any food I give them.

Weekly:
Mon morning: hikari carnivore sticks.(cereals for aros)
Mon evening: Krills
Tues: Skip
Wed morning: hikari carnivore sticks.
Wed evening: super worms
Thu: Skip
Fri morning: Different frozen foods. Depends whats on the menu. (shrimps, squids, fish, worms, or scallops)
Sat evening: Hand feed tehm with hikari masivore pellet. I hand fed them because this type of pellet sink.
Sun morning: fresh MP

Monthly:
Live baby convict cichlids (Don't hate me if your a cichlid fan. I don't want to feed goldfish to my aro, not enough nutrition. ) I turn the lights off when I put the convicts in the tank. This will let the aro to use its barbel. Then I removed the uneaten convicts the next morning.Dead ones are trown away. I'll put the surviving convicts again the next month.

My aros will eat any food I give them.

Weekly:
Mon morning: hikari carnivore sticks.(cereals for aros)
Mon evening: Krills
Tues: Skip
Wed morning: hikari carnivore sticks.
Wed evening: super worms
Thu: Skip
Fri morning: Different frozen foods. Depends whats on the menu. (shrimps, squids, fish, worms, or scallops)
Sat evening: Hand feed tehm with hikari masivore pellet. I hand fed them because this type of pellet sink.
Sun morning: fresh MP

Monthly:
Live baby convict cichlids (Don't hate me if your a cichlid fan. I don't want to feed goldfish to my aro, not enough nutrition. ) I turn the lights off when I put the convicts in the tank. This will let the aro to use its barbel. Then I removed the uneaten convicts the next morning.Dead ones are trown away. I'll put the surviving convicts again the next month.

Thats awesome! Thx for the detailed description.:cool:

Rbacchiega

Dragon guy, how old is your aro?
I've got a young silver 3.5 inches, and am feeding him 2-3 times a day...is this okay?

Dragonguy

Dragon guy, how old is your aro?
I've got a young silver 3.5 inches, and am feeding him 2-3 times a day...is this okay?

As long as you removed the uneaten food and you'll be okay. Small aro under 7" should be feed 2-3 times a day. Under 12" 1-2 times a day and bigger than 12" once. Make sure that the aro is getting enough nutrition.