Catfish ID

Arrow

My lfs has a catfish that is only labled s/a catfish, when asked the owner had no info on it.

It resembles a false tigrinus but is pink/white in color with the mild shoveltype nose.

I know I'm asking alot without pics but if anyone knows of a cat that fits this criteria it would really help me out.

The price on this cat is only 35$ so I may pick it up regardless but just dont want to end up with a monster that I can not house properly.

rudy

Check out a bolt cat. Cool as hell and won't eat your arrow. Hard to find but worth the trouble

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I made the mistake of picking one up when I started keeping fish. They are evil and relentless. A costly lesson learned: never trust an LFS.

rudy

Wow! Thanks Rudy you nailed it.

I looked for albino and found pics but the care sheet I found was for a reg one.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=19

You're right I'm def staying away from this one

Now that I've figured out what not to get, could anyone suggest a cat that can be kept with my arow that doesnt get overly huge?

Lol. Catfish are my favorite. Probably even over rays. There is not many I have not had. If I could silicone my basement I would own them all. All the big ones anyway. Check out hemibagrus wyckii. Coolest cat around. Alll the coolest cats get to big. Bolt cats rock though

Arrow

That Hemi cat is another crazy one, cool though.

I couldnt find any husbandry requirments for the bolt on planet catfish, it is on their list but that part was missing. I'll do some more research on them for now, but since my arow is only 4in I dont want to add any tankmates right away.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated

Arrow

I forgot to mention, I went to another lfs today and they had these cats that looked/shaped like rtc's only they were deep brown with light brown/tan patches(like comon plecos). They were 5in and def were'nt jaguar's(patches were fewer/larger). The store had them labbled as chochlates but they were not raphaels either, although choclate would better decribe these over raphs.

I tried searching but with out even a common name its like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

If it does not get too large I am def going to put this fish on hold until my arow is large enough for tankmates.

Last edited:

rudy

I forgot to mention, I went to another lfs today and they had these cats that looked/shaped like rtc's only they were deep brown with light brown/tan patches(like comon plecos). They were 5in and def were'nt jaguar's(patches were fewer/larger). The store had them labbled as chochlates but they were not raphaels either, although choclate would better decribe these over raphs.

I tried searching but with out even a common name its like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

If it does not get too large I am def going to put this fish on hold until my arow is large enough for tankmates.
http://www.aquatic-central.com/IrwiniakaGiantRaphaelCatfish-idv-54-15.html
No?

Arrow

Nice cat but thats not it.
The one I saw is allover dark brown with cow type tan patches and looks shaped exactly like an rtc, big head and wide mouth.
It may be a hybrid of some sort or something.

I might go by the lfs again today and if I do I'll take my camera and snap a couple pics