Pleco with Aro???

lo sai

haha ok maybe im wrong then, i guess i have no problems keeping the "cheaper" kinds of plecos with my aro.

kootenayrays

Most plecos, even large ones aren't typically aggressive with fish other
than their own species. Pecklotia(including Royals) are primarily veggie/wood eaters, many of the larger species like the basic common plecs lean towards veggie matter with some meat. Hypancistrus are primarily meat eaters, but they don't get large enough to try and house with an arro- most are 4-6 inches max. Bristlenose, if you get the right ones might be ok, the Medusa get
somewhat larger than common BN. Royal's aren't quite as thick skinned
as some of the more 'armoured' plecos, as long as they have somewhere
to get away from other fish it shouldnt be a problem though. Scarlet plecs
are great- they are rather spiny and one peck from another fish and it
won't try that again. They aren't aggressive persay, but they won't be
pushed around either. My arro's don't seem to bother chasing anything
that won't run, guess the chase is half the fun.

jackson

Most plecos, even large ones aren't typically aggressive with fish other
than their own species. Pecklotia(including Royals) are primarily veggie/wood eaters, many of the larger species like the basic common plecs lean towards veggie matter with some meat. Hypancistrus are primarily meat eaters, but they don't get large enough to try and house with an arro- most are 4-6 inches max. Bristlenose, if you get the right ones might be ok, the Medusa get
somewhat larger than common BN. Royal's aren't quite as thick skinned
as some of the more 'armoured' plecos, as long as they have somewhere
to get away from other fish it shouldnt be a problem though. Scarlet plecs
are great- they are rather spiny and one peck from another fish and it
won't try that again. They aren't aggressive persay, but they won't be
pushed around either. My arro's don't seem to bother chasing anything
that won't run, guess the chase is half the fun.

Royals are Panaques not Pecklotia. Pecklotia are omnivorous and lean towards meaty foods more than veggie. They dont need wood to survive as well.

Panaques are very rough plecos and when bigger can be very aggressive towards any fish.

Commons are veggie eaters when young buy when they get some size on them they need more meat than veggie in their diet.

Pseudacanthicus ( scarlet or cactus plecos ) are mainly meat eaters. They do get fairly large and can be very aggressive as well.

Medusas are not that aggressive but they can be. I have 3 WC adults and they really dont let any other pleco or fish near their area in the tank.

I point all these things out so that ChilliRed does not end up with a pleco that will cause problems and might stress out the almost or maybe more than $2000 Aro that Chilli wants to buy. Plecos are not seen by mant people as a problem fish but they can be and there is lots of proof out there to prove it.

CHILLI RED

I am planning on a nice super-red arowana later this year and want a very nice looking pleco for its tankmate. Like Jackson said I dont want one that might harm this expensive fish. I do love the looks of the royal.......not sure what to get

jackson

I am planning on a nice super-red arowana later this year and want a very nice looking pleco for its tankmate. Like Jackson said I dont want one that might harm this expensive fish. I do love the looks of the royal.......not sure what to get

I think a Royal will owrk but you have to watch and make sure the Aro is not bothering it or the other way around. I love Royals I have a big collection of them and just picked a new one up today. If you want a really nice one go for the L027b or c. They are wicked looking plecos.

jackson

Jackson- Where to get these in T.O. right now?

what are you looking to pay and what stores do you have a good relationship with? I ask because big ones are way over $100 dollars but I know I can get them if the store I am thinking of has any for about $100. I could go with you if you dont know the guy's and get you that price they give me.

Edit- I almost forgot there is a guy in Montreal who brings in the best pleco's in Canada. He ships to us and it is really worth the money. The only thing is it's $200 min order. If you ar interested I can PM you his link.

Edit#2 I have logged in and out 3 times now LOL LOL. I have a great idea I will pm you.

Last edited:

Louis787

Ive kept Scarlet (L25) and Adonis Plecos (L-155) before with my arowanas with no problems. Actually ive never had a situation where plecos would attack arowanas.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Big Scarlet L25's are beautiful fish indeed. I kept one for a long time with a large RTG. One day the L25 just died on me, never could figure out why...

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Edit- I almost forgot there is a guy in Montreal who brings in the best pleco's in Canada. He ships to us and it is really worth the money. The only thing is it's $200 min order. If you ar interested I can PM you his link.

You have piqued my curiosity Jackson...are you refering to Below water by any chance?

jackson

Ive kept Scarlet (L25) and Adonis Plecos (L-155) before with my arowanas with no problems. Actually ive never had a situation where plecos would attack arowanas.

Scarlets I will agree are not too aggressive but the Adonis is the most aggressive pleco out there. Liek I said you have to be lucky to have one that does not bother other fish especially when they are big. Mine is about 20'' right now and he has not caused much trouble but when he wants to it can over turn the whole tank. I find mine to be sort of aggressive but nothing compared to others I have seen and know. They are the power houses of the pleco world.

h.l_nathan

i have four plecos in my tank a zebra really hard to find a scarlet a gold nuget and a snowball. Its been six or more month now and none of them is aro food yet so i think it would be ok. Just go with your eyes for what ever u like

jackson

i have four plecos in my tank a zebra really hard to find a scarlet a gold nuget and a snowball. Its been six or more month now and none of them is aro food yet so i think it would be ok. Just go with your eyes for what ever u like

Well I dont want to sound rude but that is a bad mix in general. You have pleco's that wont reach over 3'' with ones that will reach over 12''. That alone is not good. Soon your Aro will most likely find one of the smaller ones and swallow it or it will get stuck in your Aro's throat or mouth and they will both die.

The whole point in threads like this is to give people advice that will be 100% helpful. These threads are not here to promote taking chances that will most likley end up harming 1 or more of the fish we keep.

h.l_nathan

yeah i know but they just seem too look really nice so i still kept them. but when my aro grows a bit more i'm planning to move them over to another tank for treating my tankmate with fungus or something... thank you though

jackson

yeah i know but they just seem too look really nice so i still kept them. but when my aro grows a bit more i'm planning to move them over to another tank for treating my tankmate with fungus or something... thank you though

No prblem again I am just trying to give you the best advice I can.

Good luck with your pleco's and Aro and post some pic's when you have a chance:)