arowana back is above water

str8CHINAmon

I have an arowana that is 6"-8" inches big I just got it ( basically fresh off the plane ) I put the arowana in 30 gallon tank with a over flow into a sump filter system, passing thru different media first floss (white foam)> then black foam>
then black bio-balls> then more floss> then more black foam> then to the pump that recycle the water. The tank has been cycling for three weeks. I put in a albino tinfoil barb as a tester fish everything was fine for another three weeks. My red arowana finally came I put the fish in it's new home but I notice that the fish was swimming at the top of the water.... so high up that the back is being expose to the air!:confused: CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG AND HOW CAN I FIX THE PROBLEM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!:confused:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
It sounds like your fish may have some severe swim bladder issue. Is it swimming at an angle, with its head down and tail up?

In such situations I have been told to reduce the water level dramatically so that the fish is basically in only a few inches of water and able to rest on the bottom of the tank or other support structure (like egg crate or some other support you can put together). Then you keep the lights dim and do not scare the fish; keep it as stress free as possible. Feeding is okay. You must still keep the water parameters good. After 3 days to a week of such treatment the fish should start to improve.

EEYY

I have an arowana that is 6"-8" inches big I just got it ( basically fresh off the plane ) I put the arowana in 30 gallon tank with a over flow into a sump filter system, passing thru different media first floss (white foam)> then black foam>
then black bio-balls> then more floss> then more black foam> then to the pump that recycle the water. The tank has been cycling for three weeks. I put in a albino tinfoil barb as a tester fish everything was fine for another three weeks. My red arowana finally came I put the fish in it's new home but I notice that the fish was swimming at the top of the water.... so high up that the back is being expose to the air!:confused: CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG AND HOW CAN I FIX THE PROBLEM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!:confused:

First of all, welcome to see another Toronto hobbyist having arowana.

Would suggest

- check your air supply
- check temp.
- keep the light off in the very beginning

Also, if he is always close to the top, the arowana might ready to jump. Make sure there has no space to "sneak-out"!!

Yuppa

Super Moderator
can you post a pic.

from your description it sounds like swim bladder issue.. I hate to say this, but unfortunately it rarely heals.

as cirrus said, the best thing to do, and this advice comes from the farms... (My FIRST RTG had swim bladder issues and same problem..)

lower water level to the minimum.. leave just a few inches so the aro has no choice but to be straight.. might take months for it to heal doing this.. It never worked for me however, and my rtg eventually met its demise.

if your aro is "fresh off the plane" .. I would ask for replacement.