Sump for a tank- 120" x 42" x 30"

tman

Super Moderator
I have a main idea but was wondering if anyone has any input or links to sump designs and measurements for a 600 gallon tank. I am not building it myself but I want it to be at least 175 gallon sump.

1.First chamber-filter socks
2.second chamber- jap mat
3.third chamber-bio balls
4.fourth chamber-carbon and or biospheres
5.fifth chamber will be the return water.

The pump is a hammerhead/barracuda gold hybrid. I can switch it between either one or the other. The pump will be located on the end panel of the sump unlike the one I have now that is located on the front panel with an elbow which restricts the flow a little.

What I am looking for is if someone can help me out with the chamber sizes and how the baffles should be located for the water to flow through.Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!:D

tman

Super Moderator
I was also wondering if anyone uses filter socks with a ring bigger then 7" and if so where did you get them?

jsodwi

I use a 180g sump on my 750g. I have 2 -2" drains one drain goes to one side of the 180 to a drip tray that is 2'x2'. that whole section is filled from top to bottom with bio balls and bio bail. the ther drain goes to the other side of the sump and split to 2 big filter socks. That side of the sump is loaded with ceramic rings and seachem matrix. In the middle og the sump I use a Supreme Hydrive 4800 and a mag 24 that is hooked up to a UV that runs 4 hours a day.

skynoch

Have you got the tank built allready? Is this tank being built in house? I wouldn't use anything bigger than 7" as these are the most common size and easiest to find if you want new socks or different micron sizes available. Check with the oilfield supply stores around you to find out what sizes are readiliy available and you can also get custom socks built.

tman

Super Moderator
Have you got the tank built allready? Is this tank being built in house? I wouldn't use anything bigger than 7" as these are the most common size and easiest to find if you want new socks or different micron sizes available. Check with the oilfield supply stores around you to find out what sizes are readiliy available and you can also get custom socks built.

The tank is being built in the house and the sump will be assembled before hand as it's small enough to carry it into the house(84" x 24" x 22" approx 190 gallon depending on glass thickness). The tank will have the sides already assembled with the side overflows,holes drilled, etc ,so it just has to be siliconed together in the house.

I was wondering about going to bigger socks as I would like to get about 5 days to a week before they plug. But with the new sump I will have a compartment after the socks to catch more dirt before the water goes through the bio balls. If need be I can always stay with the 7" socks but that means more cleaning of them and the media after the socks.

Last edited:

skynoch

The only reason I was asking about the tank was if you could have the overflows blacked out and made bigger and mount the filter socks in the overflow. That way you could have a longer filter sock. Or have the overflow boxes made even larger than the tank itself in length. With the filter socks in the overflows if there are two on the sides you could probably mount 3 filter socks on each side.