Filtration for 360

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I've been thinking out possibly turning my 120 into a sump for this "tank to be" but not sure if I want to give up a great grow out tank.

What would you suggest would be great for filtration on this tank?

Thanks

Tim

homebrewed

Super Moderator
If you don't wanna give up your 120g I would just make a plywood sump. Sumps IMO are the only way to go on a big tank

Not a bad idea at all. I could easily make a very large sump with one sheet of ply. And I wouldn't need to terribly thick of glass in there as the sump wouldn't be completely full.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll start putting some thought into the design now :cool:

protoxeno

I think you should buy one of those rubbermaid large storage thats 75g or more. Its a lot cheaper too and surely holds water without problem. I am getting the 55g storeage from home depot for 30 bucks as my sump on my 240g.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I like the fact that with the wood, I could integrate a viewing panel into it simply because its so large I could also keep some fish in there. Then I could keep tabs on them relatively easy.

Also a good suggestiong though, thanks

DragonfishExotics

When I have made sumps in the past, I have went to my fav local glass store, and bought used glass, its extremely cheap and they will cut it for you. If it has a minor scratch not so much of a problem.

What I like about making the sump outta plywood is it can be a fair amount cheaper and with glass panel in the front it's like having another fish tank:D When I finally get around to doing my big tank this is what I plan on doing and then hooking up a small light above the sump so I can grow plants in there to help remove nitrates and also keep a phoenix in there like Kenta did with the one I sold him

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I'll have to hit up some glass shops and see if they'll do the same with scratched glass here. Great idea

DragonfishExotics

I have plants in my sump for my aro tank, I have had the set up for 2 years, and it works well, sometimes i have to thin out the plants, I perfer ones that float to help keep a clean sump.

Tychevelle

yeah id go the plywood sump or plastic tub route , for my 125 i used a 20ish gallon plastic tub(its all i could fit thru the doors of the stand) and for my 540g im building im going to make a 150 g plywood sump

arl

If you have a big enough sump you can even have mangrove plants inthere. They're suppose to be great in taking out nitrates and they are slow growing so less maintenance. I've read though that mangroves will tint the water there are also those who said it doesn't. Iam thinking maybe when it gets really big then it does. Mangroves are popular in saltwater tanks even to a point of taking out protein skimers and running entirely on mangroves.