Arowanaclub Canada  

Go Back   Arowanaclub Canada > Asian Arowana Related Chat > General Asian arowana Discussion

Super Cricket
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
EKen

I think people should realize that "Cross Back" is just a term. Not all XBs will cross, just like not all Reds turn red, and just like Goldfish are not actually gold.

In my humble opinion, BBXBs tend to cross less than your "Gold" XBs. From the age of the Arowana shown, pearlies are not all that great. I would consider this fish to be a good quality HB, or a low quality XB. So basically, for this fish I would have paid a bit more than the average HB price, but lower than the average XB price.

On a positive side, I like the fact that the gold seems to spread into the rear fins.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
hondas3000

to me its just a hbrtg, in fact it looks no different then my current panda hbrtg right now.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Cirrus
Arowana blogger

Yes, I agree, HBRTG; but when it came in at 6 inches or so, it looked like a cross back. The truth emerged later when the fish left WTT. I guess we are back to having to trust the farm, not the look of the fish - at least when talking of smaller size fish in WTT. I think this is ironic since so many people say "buy the fish, not the cert", but what do you do when almost all 6 inch WTT "XB's" look the same, yet many go on to become HBRTG?

I do think "buy the fish, not the cert" holds true for larger XB fish in the 10+ inch range.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
m_class2g
Sponsor

buying smaller xbacks will be more of a gamble these days. i was in thailand and saw 90% of gold aros (xbacks and even rtgs) all in white tanks. i guess the best is to buy them over a foot long to see actual gold rims on the scale and not just shine. im sure a select few in asia, with their abundant selection of aros and their familiarity with wtt, can spot potential fish from young.

i think the best route is to buy bigger now a days but that is a lot more $$$. it just goes back to you pay for what you get.

Last edited by m_class2g; 03-12-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #15
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondas3000 View Post
to me its just a hbrtg, in fact it looks no different then my current panda hbrtg right now.
I agree...
Old 03-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
hondas3000

for $1200 and the fish turn out like this I would be very upset with it.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #17
Cirrus
Arowana blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondas3000 View Post
for $1200 and the fish turn out like this I would be very upset with it.
Yes, and a broken promse from the farm to replace the fish was upsetting too; at least you got your money back in the end.

When you buy small fish you take a chance, win some, lose some. WTT makes it hard to know if a small (6 inch) Gold XB will turn out well. If you want a guarantee, buy a larger gold XB that shows confirmed colour characteristics. But you will not find one for $1200. You will have to pay hundreds more, maybe even double. As long as the market remains strong in China, that is the way it is.

I am going to make this thread into a sticky and suggest that all new aro hobbyists looking to buy their first Gold XB read it as a cautionary tale. Hopefully others can learn from this experience.