Drip systems and chlorine testing.

skynoch

With alot of members starting to use drip systems I thought I better put up a reminder to pick up a chlorine test kit. You can get the test kits at any pool/hot tub store or most hardware stores carry them. Your filter life may not last as long as stated due to different water qualites or I've had certain filters that wouldn't work in certain filter housings allowing the water to bypass the filters and letting chlorine into the tank. I know with stingray pups it will only take a little chlorine in your system to kill them.
For first time setup and when using a new filter type in your housing I test for chlorine from the drip (not the tank) one hour after the installation, 12 hours later and every day for the next 3 days. If everything is good I test weekly up to a week of the filters rated life and daily after that. I then change my filters when the life expectancy is over or sooner if needed.
When I'm using the same type of filters and housings over and over I check for chlorine 1 hour after the install, the next day and weekly after that changing the filters out at the end of thier life expectancy or at the time determined by the tests to be thier end.

hustler

Are you testing for chlorimine as well? Are you using those filters or chlorine filters?
Do you find the filters stay consistant with the tests and the expiary time they give or gallons filtered ect?

skynoch

Our drinking water has chlorine in it but the pool test kits will work for both. The filters I use are for chlorine use and I have never tried them on water treated with chloramine. I know there are a few members that have expereince with the filters and chloramine and hopefully they can answer some of your questions better. The filters life expectancy for my water is lower than what is stated due to how many minerals are in the water so they actually get clogged up easily. The way I get around that is I have a 3 stage system with a 1 micron sediment filter first and then 2 carbon filters which will allow me to run for just under a month and a half before there is any traces of chlorine. I change all 3 filters every 30 days which will allow me to increase my drip at times and still not get any chlorine in my tank.

hustler

Hey scott,
This is our daily water report for edmonton,
http://www.epcor.ca/en-ca/Customers/water-customers/water-quality-reports/Pages/daily-report.aspx
Apparently the reason i still have .05 ammonia is due to the addition if it and not being able to remove it with the filters??
Here are the filters i am currently running (ultra 3pack) till i can start ordering from BWI
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/chloramine_filters.htm

Im still having problems finding an actual chlorimine test kit, seems everywhere i co chlorine is the only test.
With the detail in testing you have been doing the $15 for 10 tests im paying now ontop of the filters not lasting the 3 or even 2 months they should will make this drip system too expensive over the regular water changes.....
I may be missing something as this is getting me even more confused now..... I am just worried for my fish getting 50-60 gpd with the chance of chlorine/chlorimine and the addition of ammonia from an outside source. Any help you can offer would save me an Ulcer :)
Thanks
Mel

hustler

Sorry the system im using is the CARBON BLOCK CHLORAMINE PACKAGE
* 1 POLY SEDIMENT 1 MICRON FILTER
* 1 CHLORAMINE MASTER NH2CL STAGE 2 CARBON BLOCK
* 1 CHLORAMINE MASTER NH2CL STAGE 3 CARBON BLOCK

Also i tried adding a 25PSI regulator to my tap..... and it appears it has a small hole in the side? That drips when the tap is on.... Not sure if yours is the same?

Boydo

Dealing with chloramine water also, I have experimented with almost every type of chloramine/chlorine filter and used complete systems with RO/DI membranes. I always have had a level of uncertainty of how much chloramine was actually removed(with high volume systems), the life expectancy and concern of removing most of the minerals and trace elements. Not to mention the replacement cost of filters. Now I only use 1 micron prefilter and the rest of the expensive gear collects dust. I use an aqua medic dosing pump to pretreat incoming water with prime/safe. I have never had a problem and I change well over 400 gallons a day of fresh water.

IMO dosing with prime/safe is the only way to go for chloramine.

For those with chlorine water carbon filtration systems are more than capable of providing safe filtration for drip systems.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

hustler

That just hurts to hear lol.....
Ive had the system turned off for a week and Guess what..... ZERO ammonia.... fish are fighting less and the rays arent trying to eat my 10" clowns anymore.... they just seem more peacefull.......
I dont know what to do as the test i do have says everything is A ok..... but i just dont trust it... not as much as i do back breaking 5 gal pails every couple days anyways.....
I guess Ill scrap the idea and look into a doser with prime.....
Do you use a pre tank for water and dosing or can i set this up with my main tank?

skynoch

Dealing with chloramine water also, I have experimented with almost every type of chloramine/chlorine filter and used complete systems with RO/DI membranes. I always have had a level of uncertainty of how much chloramine was actually removed(with high volume systems), the life expectancy and concern of removing most of the minerals and trace elements. Not to mention the replacement cost of filters. Now I only use 1 micron prefilter and the rest of the expensive gear collects dust. I use an aqua medic dosing pump to pretreat incoming water with prime/safe. I have never had a problem and I change well over 400 gallons a day of fresh water.

IMO dosing with prime/safe is the only way to go for chloramine.

For those with chlorine water carbon filtration systems are more than capable of providing safe filtration for drip systems.

Just my $0.02.
Thanks Bret I was hoping you would chime in here as I don't have any personal experience with chloramine. For a chlorine test kit which will work with chloramine go to canadian tire and they have a liquid form which should give 50+ tests minimun (not sure as I haven't finished my first bottle yet) for I think around 7 dollars. As for filters the cost of replacing them once a month compared to the time spent to do 400+ gallons of water a day change out is no comparison. Bwi has great prices and good bulk deals. Just to let you know how good the filters are when I run the 3 in series I can put through 100 gallons an hour for at least 6 hours without any chlorine trace and this is at the end of the month. Great for emergency water changes ect..

Boydo

I know how you feel. I'll try to get some pictures of one of my systems. I have rubbermaid(like) bin (20l) that sits on top of my sump with a 1" hole drill 2/3 to the top where the water over flows and spills into the sump. The fresh water going in enters this bin 3/4 to the top just above the water level. The prime line from the doser enters right beside where the fresh water goes into the bin. I premix my prime or safe down to 1 part prime/safe and 6 parts distilled or filtered water in a 4l reservoir that the dosing pump takes suction from. The doser then pumps about 1ml every 20 minutes into the bin to treat the chloramine. This amount and timing is specific to my systems but shows you the idea.

I use the twin pump as I have 2 separate systems: http://www.aqua-medic.com/reef_doser.shtm This doser can be programed to pump any volume at any interval or timing you want.

HTH

Last edited:

hustler

Im just going to throw this out there..... Im doing the math over and over but.... Are you not overdosing with prime? I have heard Horror stories with prime burn when the water temp is higher or salt content ect.... In my comm.... salt and heat are a constant lol...
Im just trying to grasp all this in a short ammount of time.... Ive done everything by the book (or walk through) and still it isnt working right..... and Ive heard worse with dosing as apposed to filters.....
I wanted to do this right the First time lol.... and i know 3rd time is the charm i just dont want any fish paying for it

hustler

Also, If BWI has better filters than the filter guys Ill look into that ASAp aswell..... I assumed as most US cities are set up with chlorimine like edmonton it was the safest bet. Im not trying to be discourage this plan as the idea of never having to stress the fish before a water change is my main goal and it beats slinging pails all day once a week.... Im just stressed right out as my ammonia was at 0.05 and my big female is pregnant and now that its turned off my amm is at zero......

Boydo

Im just going to throw this out there..... Im doing the math over and over but.... Are you not overdosing with prime? I have heard Horror stories with prime burn when the water temp is higher or salt content ect.... In my comm.... salt and heat are a constant lol...
Im just trying to grasp all this in a short ammount of time.... Ive done everything by the book (or walk through) and still it isnt working right..... and Ive heard worse with dosing as apposed to filters.....
I wanted to do this right the First time lol.... and i know 3rd time is the charm i just dont want any fish paying for it

Actually if anything I under dose with Prime. Each system does about 9-10 gallons an hour of water and I dose each with ( approx 3 mls/hr of 1:6 prime/water mix)enough for 5-6 gallons an hour to each. The recommended dose is 1 ml per 10 gallons to remove 1.2 mg/l of chloramine.

By all means do what works for you! This is what works very well for me.

Like I said its only my $0.02.

Is there a reason you have salt in your water?

hustler

Everything trys to kill everything on a daily basis..... I have 4 alpha males im pretty sure out of 5 asians. They eat like monsters, never sleep and fight non stop...... This comm deal isnt for everyone.
If its what you are using It must be a better bet than fighting with my rinkydink system so I will have to look into it asap. Just a little let down this filter idea didnt pan out after all I did to get it working...

hustler

Also at 3ml an hour..... Where do you get your prime LOL..... and what kind of price in a pm if you wouldnt mind :)