I NEED HELP with sump accessories

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
OK here is the deal

Im getting a 120x 32 x 26 tank done im thinking of using one of my 150g for a sump.
I was thinking of having my mechanical filtration done apart from the sump VIA a chubby canfilter ( it looks like a shop vac filter ) now here is my problem the guy who is building my tank is trying to juce me on my sump accessories ( or so i think )
he is trying to sell me that chubby can filter for 360$ and also he is selling me a level control box for 400$ and finaly a panworld pump #100 for 425 these seem like a bit exessive to me
so i would like to know if you ever heard of chubby canfilter, is there a cheaper water level controler, and as for the pump im pretty sure i can get one for about 150$

I have never had a sump or anything of the sort so i am clueless on what to look for what kind of system i need i do know that i want a auto water leveler and that i want massive bio-filtration and also a mechanical filtration that i only have to change once a month

i currently have 8 small asian arowana, 1 fly river turtle ( 1.3 kilo ) and 2 huge Dats in a 220 g with 3 x marineland C-530 and 1 FX 45 i feel like my bioload is about to be too heavy very soon if not already

So any Imput on what i should use for my sump will be greatly apreciated

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
Wow thanks for the massive replies :(
Ok so here is a easy question just to get the conversation going
What kind of pump are u using for your sump or what pump do you think as best quality vs price

snow

I would check jl aquatics website. They ship across Canada. They have basically any size you need and they price match. Start there.:)

hustler

Why do you need a control level box? Is the tank not drilled to drain just as fast as any pump could fill it?
Why would you want to use a 150gallon and not have any mechanical in it? Just going to use bio? I understand the idea of this chubby but your 150 would act almost the same... Is the sump tank going to be drilled Inline for the pump?

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
ha now thats the kind of feedback i need hustler ..... the control level box im going to scratch originally i was thinking control levelbox in the sump, but as i dug into the treads already posted ( thats what im supposed to do i know i know ) i came across that drip in the tank and drain from the sump concept ( I like that alot ) so thats what im going to do.
now the reason i want to use a 150g for the sump is simple its because i have a 150g that i am not using.
i want to use a chubby because i dont know any better. and also cuz the idea of changing the filter of a chubby seems easy.
to tell you the truth i am absolutely clueless about this sump bizzness
that is the reason why i am reaching out to ALL of you more experienced fishkeeper
if i could have a Arowana friendly blueprint of what my sump should look like it would be awsome

i include here the diagram of the sump i am thinking of building note that the mechanical filtration seems a little weak thats why i was thinking of adding a chubby

Thanks for taking the time

Attachments

• wetdrysump.jpg
    wetdrysump.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 591

Joey

Unfortunatly, there are a few things i would definetly change about the sump design.

Make sure you wet/dry chamber is larger than the submerged chambers.

Dont sacrifice less of a tower, for the extra submered sections.

You dont need that submered media directly below the tower... that just going to cause you head acks when it comes time for maintainence.

Raise the tower up more, so more media is out of the water, then extend it out making the tower bigger overall.

there is no need of having two seperate compartments for submerged bactera. Simplify it, and have one.

Given your stocking, shoot for a 50 gallon tower, and a 20 gallon submerged area..
That much media can handle alot more than your currently going to throw at it...

Thats if any bacteria even needs to be on the submerged section. Keep in mind, that there will only be as much bacteria as there is for a food source. But, since your fish will be constantly growing, the submerged section will be a nice cushion.

When putting this thing together, keep in mind, that water will travel threw the area of least resistance. So insure the first wall of the submerged section is much taller then the furthest wall... not equal, and not simular. there needs to be a big difference... Reason being, the submerged media will eventually clog. And water will simply flow over it... with the raised wall.. it will take alot longer for this to happen.

Based on the fact that your using a 150 gallon tank as well... if your not going to use the volume of it.. thens its a waste of a nice tank... When your power shuts off, about 20gallons(given you tanks dimentions) will drain to the bottom tank.. So unless your running that 150gal at 75% full at all times for the extra water volume, then that tank is a waste.

If you want to run with the the tank at 75% full, you might as well just run it will all submerged media...

Personally, id sell that 150gal, grab a 75gal for ththe filter, and use the change to by more media. run it at 30-40% full and use this design below:

Here is a video of that exact design in action.

Attachments

• design.jpg
    design.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
Ok i see no need for much submerged filtration

guess i will keep my 150 as a hospital tank and try to find a 120 or 90 for cheap :)

thanks for the upgrade mini plan