Salt and Auto water changer drip system?

hustler

Anyone using salt with the auto system?
The FF i bough has a few spots of ich.... :mad: And the aro's have a few scratches/dropped scales from the move so i would like to get some salt in there with the heat at 83..... How will i guage how much salt to add weekly or daily:eek: if needed?
Im using pickling/kosher salt and changing 2.5 gallons an hour Actual or 1gph on the nipple but fills 2.5 gph in a pail in an hour lol

hustler

Just trying to get the feel for this drip system still.... got em all moved in but ripped fins and dropped scales so salt is a muct for a speedy recovery..... But Im banking on that drip to help with the tail end of a cycle as well....
Thanks for the info guys, what are you doing for salt??? 1tsp per gallon?

RDFISHGUY

When I moved my guy he got some split fins and broke his barbel, again, and I treated with 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. So in my case 72 tablespoons (360 gal). After that I never added any more. He has been healing much faster than the last time I moved him. Last time I moved him was when I moved the 180 to build the 360. It took 4 months for his barbel to heal (no auto water change). This time the same barbel was broken and It has already grown halfway back in just 1 month. Perhaps if you keep the salt up they'll heal even quicker. I just like my water to be more constant. No adding stuff all the time. I just feel that consistant water quality is better than changing things all the time.

Salt is different as it won't have any negative effects if you use the proper salt and proper dosage. With the auto water change system you will notice much quicker healing times.

skynoch

I use to use water softner pellets in my sump and calculated out how much water my drip put in a day and then added that weight in pellets. I use 1 lb per 100 gallons. The water softner pellets dissolve slow so as water comes in slowly they dissolve slowly. Make sure you use the pellets that are pure salt and not the other types.

hustler

lol thats just too much science for me now...... I got a salt tester..... I quit..... LOL.....
Ill dose whats recomended, bump it in a week then i quit unless i absolutly have to add again