2 aro tank update.

frozen-fire

Hey guys, haven't been active too much as of late, but figured I'll post a quick update.

The tank was recently moved to the basement of the house, and ever since the move, the red has gotten a little more aggressive. I'm seeing split fins on the black on a regular basis. They heal overnight anyways, but still...

I recently acquired a used non-working 6 foot light strip fixture for free, so I did a little work and switched out some ballasts and voila. I now have an instant start 6' light strip. I threw in a couple of power-glo tubes in there and it does show off the colours a little better, but it's still very dark in the tank. I blame the painted black background and base. I also use a coralife 4' saltwater T5 light with full spectrum daylight and actinic.

IMG_8938640x480.jpg

IMG_8932640x480.jpg

IMG_8942640x480.jpg

IMG_8945640x480.jpg

I know my picture taking sucks and all. The red has been getting more colour each day, but it's so hard to capture on camera.

h.l_nathan

i think you need 4 3f low output t5 with floraglo 1 4f and 1 power glow it will show the color of the aro more and will make your tank glow like crazy

frozen-fire

i think you need 4 3f low output t5 with floraglo 1 4f and 1 power glow it will show the color of the aro more and will make your tank glow like crazy

Wow, that's a lot of wattage. If I put so many lights on top of the tank, I'm going to have such a hard time during feedings cause I can't even open the glass lids! I'll have to remove some of the lights first, which I already do. I have to take off the 4 ft one just to open the lid.

thats a nice looking aro and set up.
thats a nice looking tank
very nice setup, love your aro's tankmates too

Thanks.

nice fish, do the silver and ur red fight?

Thanks. Actually, it's a black, and they just recently started to show some aggression towards each other after moving the tank from the main floor to the basement. Nothing serious though. Just some split fins on the black which heals quickly.

h.l_nathan

no just buy some plywood and build yourself a mantle for the lights. make it like 10-12 inch more def for your tank. you dont have to turn all of them on at once. you can turn whatever your mood is. but it will make your tank stand out more.
I have all t5 green, floraglo, power glo, marineglo but i just turn 2 on at a time on my 6'.

frozen-fire

i actually thought about that at one point, but realized that it wouldn't match anything as i have it sitting on a metal tube stand.
however, i am definitely going to go this route on my next tank. This is not a permanent home for the aros.

frozen-fire

awesome aro frozen, cept i think ur FF is gettin skinny

it got really skinny at one point. I have no idea why. it's not like it's not eating, but as of lately, it seems to be getting more mass.

The color is coming up nicely. How big and how old is it now?

I've had the fish for about a year now. I remember getting it close to chinese new year a year ago. i don't have a confirmed measurement, but my guess is 13-14 inches. yeah, the colour is really coming along. it has this really nice greenish/bluish base that is impossible to capture with my crappy camera.

very nice red aro and setup!