African aro

T1KARMANN

Hi

i have the chance to get a 12inch african aro in a few days :D

i like them as they look abit like baby arapima gigas

i know they dont get that big i think 24inch would be a good size

anyone kept one before

Dragonguy

Even in captivity african aro can grow to 30". They are filter feeders loves bloodworms and krills. The only downside about this fish is that they are easily underfeed and will likely to die of starvation. If you have enough plankton as food for this fish then you'll have a nice and healty looking african aro.

T1KARMANN

i feed my tank everyday with blood worm and will start feeding mysis and krill :D

i have always want to try one just to see what they are like

the owner says its eatting prawn and pellets

i thought they started to eat larger foods once they got to 12inch

EEYY

i feed my tank everyday with blood worm and will start feeding mysis and krill :D

i have always want to try one just to see what they are like

the owner says its eatting prawn and pellets

i thought they started to eat larger foods once they got to 12inch

I was thinking to get one as well. But once I find out that this is kind of a "filter-feeding" fish http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11173 , then I decided not to have it.

If you have photos, please let us know.

Dragonguy

I forgot to mention that this fish changed its diet as it grows. Juvenile will will eat small pieces of prawn and any other meaty food. As it grow they start eating small insect to plankton size food. Mine never eat pellet no matter how I tried. I end up trading the fish when it was about 20" as I can't provide enough planton size food as my other fish eat most of them.

EEYY

I forgot to mention that this fish changed its diet as it grows. Juvenile will will eat small pieces of prawn and any other meaty food. As it grow they start eating small insect to plankton size food. Mine never eat pellet no matter how I tried. I end up trading the fish when it was about 20" as I can't provide enough planton size food as my other fish eat most of them.

This is one of the key reasons why I give up. One web site also mentioned that they will act like a catfish when they grow even bigger. Not sure this is true or not. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

T1KARMANN

the color is nothing great but i like the way this african aro holds its self in the tank a very cool fish

i dont normally take pics until i get a fish feeding so pics will be posted in a few days :D

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Are you keeping the African aro in your Asian aro/ray/dat community tank? Made any changes to the configuration?

T1KARMANN

no changes other than selling a few asian aros off as they were getting beat up real bad

im down to 6 asian aros now not 9 when you visted :D

hears a pic as hes feeding now

P1030529.jpg

Dragonguy

Wow nice african aro! Good luck on raising that aro, I hope you won't give up on that aro. I was a little pissed off and sad when I traded mine, but it was for the best. Only if I provided enough food for that aro, I would still have that african aro.

T1KARMANN

just out of intrest

was your african aro aggressive

mine is in with 4 x xbacks 1 x chilli red and a RTG and he has taken over the tank its like hes the new alpha male

im not sure if hes just trying to be freindly but it looks like hes attacking all the other aros he opens his mouth real wide likes hes snapping at them

the other aro are real scared of him

Dragonguy

Mine was a little aggressive but no harm was done. It's more like flaring its fins and chasing.
As it grow it became less aggressive and more into looking for food. Put some substrate in your tank and put some live black worms. Make sure the worm are healthy and wash them with cold water not hot water. Don't let the aros eat the worms first. Let them free in your tank and they will bury in the substrate and multiple. This will make your african aro busy looking for the worms and this will also prevent your african aro from starving.

T1KARMANN

i already have substrate so thats cool

you are right he just goes up to the other aros and flares his mouth and trys to bite their tails/back end of the body

we will just have to see what happens

EEYY

just out of intrest

was your african aro aggressive

mine is in with 4 x xbacks 1 x chilli red and a RTG and he has taken over the tank its like hes the new alpha male

im not sure if hes just trying to be freindly but it looks like hes attacking all the other aros he opens his mouth real wide likes hes snapping at them

the other aro are real scared of him

IMHO, It's not worthwhile to scare the x-backs and red because of an African aro. When they feel uncomfortable, they would like to jump around or hitting glasses.

I hope I am wrong.:p

Dragonguy

My RTG and SR never jump or hit the glass. They just avoid the bite and it seems like it never happened. Sometimes my green and black aro would flare back and showed the african aro that they are the boss, but they never fought, not once.

Dragonguy

I might order an african aro from REHOBOTH AQUATICS and give it another try. This time a got the $$$ and I'm prepared to take the risk.

T1KARMANN

I might order an african aro from REHOBOTH AQUATICS and give it another try. This time a got the $$$ and I'm prepared to take the risk.

:D got the bug again :D

they are a very cool fish not scared of anything like a babay arapima :D

i havent seen it eat much

would would you recomend as the best foods i have tryed frozen blood worm krill mysis prawn and pellets sinking pellets do you think floating pellets will be better

sorry for all the ?s im a complete afro newbie

Dragonguy

If it take floating pellet then that's great, but sinking pellet would be nice so it can take it share. All the floating pellets will be consumed by asian aros. As long as the fish won't starved. Btw it's great to hear that african aro is eating pellets. Mine never did, I hope my second one will try it this time.