arrowana tank troubles please help

dragongirl604

I have a 90gal freshwater tank with an arrowana , a tiger fish and 3 birchers in it. im also new to this forum....
I have 2 problems if anyone can help me:

1) I noticed today that there are very tiny small looking creatures that seem to look like tiny tiny small snails in my tank....i dont know where these things came from...they are 100 of these tiny snails on the log and the glass of my tank...please help....how do i get rid of them? and what are they? and how did they all of a sudden appear in the tank?

2) I have a 12 inch redtail gold arrowana...ever since i changed the water about 2 weeks ago. the arrowana seems to have white bloaches all over its body. It seems to look like white patches everywhere on the body but the patches are a faded look....would anybody know whats wrong with my fish?

never knew tanking care of a arrowana fish can be so stressful please help thanks

King-eL

Taking pics of that white patches would help a lot. As I said before in BCA aros are easy to take care if you know what your doing.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
Snails are a common infestation.. Get a phoenix, it will eat all the snails and soon your tank will be spotless..

as for the white splotches.. we need a pic to help.. could be anything from ich to ph burn..

charles

I have a feeling that the arow. has fungus... Can you provide us with tank parameter? and tank information?

carcrazy

How often and how big are your water changes? I do 25 - 30% every couple of days or so. What are you using for filtration? I have a Rena XP3, an X4 and a 60 gallon sump with pot scrubbers. And what is the temperature of your tank? Mines about 80 degrees.

Try increasing your tank temperature to around 84 degrees and add some aquarium salt. I hear that that usually helps the aro heal from a variety of ailments. And more water changes wouldn't hurt either.

EKen

Super Moderator
I have a 90gal freshwater tank with an arrowana , a tiger fish and 3 birchers in it. im also new to this forum....
I have 2 problems if anyone can help me:

1) I noticed today that there are very tiny small looking creatures that seem to look like tiny tiny small snails in my tank....i dont know where these things came from...they are 100 of these tiny snails on the log and the glass of my tank...please help....how do i get rid of them? and what are they? and how did they all of a sudden appear in the tank?

2) I have a 12 inch redtail gold arrowana...ever since i changed the water about 2 weeks ago. the arrowana seems to have white bloaches all over its body. It seems to look like white patches everywhere on the body but the patches are a faded look....would anybody know whats wrong with my fish?

never knew tanking care of a arrowana fish can be so stressful please help thanks

Well I do not want to sound like a prick, but personally I find that a 90 gallons tank is too small for an Arowana, let alone an Arowana, 3 bichirs and a datnoid.

I do not know what type of filtration you run on that tank, but from what I read, it must not be that great. I propose reducing the bioload of that tank.
And assuming that you are changing the water once in 2 weeks, I propose increasing the frequency of water change, at least twice a week, each time around 25%. And ultimately, upgrade that tank to atleast a 180 gallons.

Remember that in a small tank, the small volume makes the water go bad very quickly...

Kenta

Administrator
The "snails" sound like nematodes... their populations blow up if there is too much nutrients in the water...

as for the white patches... pics would help!