Can't Decide

carcrazy

I have been thinking about taking the plunge and buying a Merlion Royal Gold Premium Crossback Arowana. She is a beautiful fish with shine up quite high already on a 6" fish. The only thing holding me back is the price - $2500. Is this a reasonable price or am I just crazy?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I've got some pricelists for other farms I can share with you. You could save at least 1/3 on a comparable quality fish from another major Signapore or Malaysian farm by importing through a group buy. The drawback is, you would not get that particular fish. :) I would say if you are really smitten by that particular fish, then the price is almost irrelevant, since it is worth whatever you are willing to pay. From an investment point of view, however, you would be unlikely to recoup what you paid if you tried to resell. Good luck with the decision. :)

Boydo

$2500 seems like a fair price for a quality hand selected arowana, if its the one you desire. Cirrus has a good point for the cheaper fish as well. Maybe selecting the aro yourself is worth the extra money to guaranty you get what you want.

Good luck.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I've seen the fish in question. No doubt it's a beauty. Looks like purple/violet base with high shine right through the 5th level. Also has some gold showing on the head already. Nice and thick also.

Is it worth the money? Only you can answer that, Albert.

James Sananikone

Do you really like the fish !

If yes, Go for it ... $2500 diveded by 60 months is less than $1.50/day.

You will enjoy keeping that fish for the next five years or more.

If money is not an issue, don't keep dreaming ...take the plunge ...

I paid my Premium XB more than that and I'm happy that I did it.

Remember there's a regular XB and Premium XB, a Super Red and Premium Super Red.

Then the Show Super Red for deeper pocket !

Good luck !

carcrazy

I couldn't say no! I just bought the fish 5 minutes ago for $2200! It will take a little time to pay it off before I can take her home but she is mine! I'll have to take a camera in next time I'm in the city to take a few snaps.

The xb will be going into a 165g planted tank with a few fw angels, a severum, a couple of blue gourami, an ornate bichir and a pleco for company. There is a green aro in there now that will be going into a 130g tank to make room for the xb.

The 130g is an odd size in that it has a footprint of 6.6' x 22" x 16.5" high. The 165g is 6' x 22" x 24" high. These tanks are a little narrow but they should be alright for a while. When the xb outgrows the 165g I may have to get rid of my pbass and put her in the 320g. The aro should look nice in a planted tank, though. I can't wait!:D

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Lol, I love it! :) Nothing like an aro-head smitten by a fish! :)

Glad you got what you are after, can't wait to see the fish. Nicholas, the owner of Dreamfish is a top-knotch guy, I had a couple of lunches with him. He struck me as a man with a lot of integrity. Mr.Kan also told me in a very no-nonsense manner (leaning forward, tilting his head down, looking over the rim of his glasses) that "Nicholas here is producing some very nice fish, some very nice fish." Nicholas got his start with Mr.Kan way back as his floor manager (as did many others).

Can't wait to see your new pet. :)

chen88

Super Moderator
nice!....good luck...always good to get what you want! :) and stops you from regretting in the future...money comes but also goes!....;-) so you might as well use it when it's in your pocket! ;-) that's what I always say...lol

carcrazy

Thanks guys! Like they say, you can't take it with you so you might as well enjoy yourself while you can.

Hey Gerry, where are the pictures of your new 24K? I saw her at Ewings but it was kind of hard to get a good look since the tank is in an awkward location in the back. From what I could see she is a very nice fish. Congratulations!

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks, Albert. She's still at the store. No pics yet.

I have to move the chilli to a 2 ft wide tank that is not ready yet. I made the mistake of buying granite tiles thinking they would fit when they didn't so I am waiting on a friends wet saw. I'll probably move the chilli anyways. The 24K should be in her new tank by saturday. She's already taking hikari aro sticks so I'm happy about that. :)