Chili/black tank.

frozen-fire

Alright guys, here's my little setup. Excuse the quality of the pics. Don't have a camera, so had to use my cell phone. My fish are really camera shy, so I had to use the sport/action mode to take some really quick pics... reasoning for the darkness and lack of colour. These pics don't do them justice.

Here's the tank. 120G long. Weird dimensions, but is a 6 footer. I'm on the lookout for a deal on a 180+ for teh basement though. Bare bottom, painted flat black on back and bottom. Three pieces of driftwood. 2 Rena XP4's. 4' dual HO T5 light fixture.
DSC01035640x480.jpg

DSC01036640x480.jpg

Here are the aro's. Couldn't get a pic of the black as it is REALLY camera shy and quick too. Next time.
The red is finally starting to show some colour on the rims of all the scales. I can actually see development daily. Hopefully it'll get more intense. I know that a month or two ago, there was no colour on the body, only slight orange on the cheek. So, the colour is coming on pretty quick. I've had people comment on how fat the fish is though. You guys think it's overweight? Should I be cutting back on the feedings?
DSC01040640x480.jpg

DSC01041640x480.jpg

frozen-fire

FF. I can not get this fish to fatten up for the life of me. All it does is eat, but doesn't seem to be putting on any weight. I've always thought that they were herbivorous, but it doesn't seem to like any of the algae wafers at all, but loves carnivorous pellets. Oh well... at least it keeps the tank clean.
DSC01046640x480.jpg

Biggest polypterus I have. A total pig.
DSC01047640x480.jpg

EKen

Super Moderator
i'm one of the lucky ones out there with aros that LOVE each other.

Maybe they are gay...
Nice tank, the painted walls make it look very clean. I like it a lot, I might try painting mine too. I think your tank would look even more fabulous with more lightning.

I don't find your Chili to be fat. He looks good, I'll even like him more if he was fatter. You are right, you FF does look skinny, for such a big fish.

Cheers (whatever that means)

frozen-fire

Thanks guys... Hmmmm gay aros, so what happens when and if they mate? Just a lot of cloudy water LOL.

Yeah, I've been looking into the lighting. You guys may see some new pics with better lighting soon :)

CHILLI RED

nice chilli red and love that bichir too. i wouldnt be brave enough to try another arowana in there though. good luck and i hope there is no fighting

rulaifu

Body shape is fine. Not necessary being fatter. Would like to see the updated pictures with new lighting. Expecting...........

CHILLI RED

Frozen-Fire: What type/brand of paint did you use for the back and bottom of your tank? Looks good!

Last edited:

frozen-fire

Chili red came from Imperial. Remember when there was a big splurge of VIP reds in the area about a year or so ago? My fish was part of that shipment. Tehre was another one that looked very similar, but someone else picked it up.

I believe the paint was krylon fusion acrylic or something like that. At first, I used roller, cause people said it was much easier than spray... but that was completely wrong... I found that the acrylic paint would not stick to the glass as well, so after a couple coats, I had to get a can and spray it on. The spray finished it up nicely. The good thing about the acrylic is that you can peel it off very easily.